Discuss Best route to get part p in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi people noobie here.
OK Im a fully qualified JIB approved 2391 and 18th Edition. Fed up with the big sites, so going it alone. Seems I need part P, which whislt I grimmace at the thought of possibly more training that I dont need. It seems I must have it, and all these checkatrade type of sites insist on it!

OK so whats my best route to go please in 2020, things change over time, as I guess this has been asked many timers before.
Thanks

Well if you want to be Part P registered then yes you will need to join one of the scheme providers, their membership options may differ slightly from one to the other so better to check on their website what the criteria is for each

Going on the Qualifications you quoted don't think you will need anything training wise apart from business insurance and deep pockets

Well if you want to be Part P registered then yes you will need to join one of the scheme providers, their membership options may differ slightly from one to the other so better to check on their website what the criteria is for each

Going on the Qualifications you quoted don't think you will need anything training wise apart from business insurance and deep pockets

Already got 2 mil public liability. So in guessing just need to pay a scheme in excess of £600

As above. Check with the schemes as to what they require. C&G do a Part P based exam which is very straight forward and some of the online training guys could probably solve situation if doing the exam is a requirement.

Yes that is my understanding as well.
I can only see this as another method for the training establishments to cash in.
The Part P document is free to download from the government website and has all the information that you need in there

As above Part P is just downloaded content which anyone can access online & is not a requirement to join a CPS scheme. Unfortuantly many courses will sell this as part of their sales pitch.

If you decide to go with The NIC, they will send you a package once you register with them of exactly what you need in place for the visit. The first cost will be about £1200 and about 600 a year thereafter (roughly)
It seems you already have the right qualifications.
I don’t believe any of the schemes are doing site visits at the moment though so if you sign up, expect to wait a few months before your site visit comes through and your approved into the scheme

If you decide to go with The NIC, they will send you a package once you register with them of exactly what you need in place for the visit. The first cost will be about £1200 and about 600 a year thereafter (roughly)
It seems you already have the right qualifications.
I don’t believe any of the schemes are doing site visits at the moment though so if you sign up, expect to wait a few months before your site visit comes through and your approved into the scheme

Indeed, first instinct for me was NICEIC, looking at their site it seems they have lowered their costs. The approved is £520, DI is £465 for initial application. Then £465 per year. Perhaps they are trying to be competitive?
So we also have Napit and Elecsa, which seem to be about the same cost.
It used to be that local councils insisted on NICEIC, so that's what I'm thinking.
I've also come across Stroma, @ £250, but research suggests they are part of one of the other schemes.

There is it seems a part p building regs exam. I will be making some phone calls tomorrow.

Great replies so far guys, keep up the good work.

Indeed, first instinct for me was NICEIC, looking at their site it seems they have lowered their costs. The approved is £520, DI is £465 for initial application. Then £465 per year. Perhaps they are trying to be competitive?
So we also have Napit and Elecsa, which seem to be about the same cost.
It used to be that local councils insisted on NICEIC, so that's what I'm thinking.
I've also come across Stroma, @ £250, but research suggests they are part of one of the other schemes.

There is it seems a part p building regs exam. I will be making some phone calls tomorrow.

Great replies so far guys, keep up the good work.

Elecsa are part of the NIC aswell. Just different branding.

I find it unbelievable that people still think Part P is a qualification and actually fall for the Part P course con.
[automerge]1590939597[/automerge]
You dont need to do any part P exams FFS, just buy the Electricians Guide to the Building Regulations and download the Part P document for free.
Oh and read them!

I find it unbelievable that people still think Part P is a qualification and actually fall for the Part P course con.

I need to become part p they all say. What actually become it ?
I imagine them going into training centres and spinning cocoons crafted from papier mache made from approved documents in which they gestate. Once their cheque clears they emerge and display their bold new wings to the sun.
"Behold, I am now part p"

What's that ? I need to get out more ?
Tell me about it !!

Don't know why we keep having the same thing about Part P is just a document... So is BS7671... It's just a book, but you take an exam on it.

I have pinched this from another post which pretty much sums up Part P Certified...

1591010619587.png

Don't know why we keep having the same thing about Part P is just a document... So is BS7671... It's just a book, but you take an exam on it.

I have pinched this from another post which pretty much sums up Part P Certified...

View attachment 58552
Part P is just a document. It states two basic facts, which work is notifiable and that all work in dwellings must be carried out in accordance with Bs7671. If someone feels the need to do an expensive course to learn those two facts they clearly have money to burn or are extremely gullible. There is no such thing as Part P approved or certified, it is not an approval scheme, it's a document. There is such a thing as NICEIC....or NAPIT approved, they are approval schemes.

Part P is just a document. It states two basic facts, which work is notifiable and that all work in dwellings must be carried out in accordance with Bs7671. If someone feels the need to do an expensive course to learn those two facts they clearly have money to burn or are extremely gullible. There is no such thing as Part P approved or certified, it is not an approval scheme, it's a document. There is such a thing as NICEIC....or NAPIT approved, they are approval schemes.

Yes part P is just a document, I agree. BS7671 is also just a document. We take an exam on that. Why are you not whinging about that and just Part P?

Yes part P is just a document, I agree. BS7671 is also just a document. We take an exam on that. Why are you not whinging about that and just Part P?
Lost count of the number of people that have just passed the latest BS7671 update who consider themselves to be qualified Electricians, there were loads in the department I used to work for. It's not just the Part P fiasco, seen their job application for electricians roles, what qualifications do you have "17th Edition" laughable.
The BS 7671 UPDATE is exactly that an update for practicing qualified Electricians

Last edited:

Reply to Best route to get part p in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net