Discuss BG (British General) consumer units in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

TBH, I think the BG CU's are complete rubbish, however Fusebox on the other hand - I think they are much better quality than most, and a good price.

If asked for recommendations I would put Hagar top, then if the price is an issue, Fusebox.
I fully agree. I have fitted 1 supplied by a customer, has a faulty RCD and 2 faulty replacement RCDs, whether it was a bad batch or not I find it to be cheap DIY rubbish and will never fit one again.

Had quite a few issues with the BG consumer units usually trying to get the knock outs to knock out (I have had a few buckled carcase ) but never an issue getting them replaced surprisingly. Also trying to keep the breakers straight while tightening to the busbar as often look like a row of condemned houses.
When posible i have started fitting Contactum boards as they appear to be a lot more substantial also never had any issues with them. The only boards I seem to have issues with seem to be from the BG, CED, MCG type of equipment anyone got any recommendations on any decent ones with deals on them

I fully agree. I have fitted 1 supplied by a customer, has a faulty RCD and 2 faulty replacement RCDs, whether it was a bad batch or not I find it to be cheap DIY rubbish and will never fit one again.
Hi I also have had trouble with BG RCD's , was completing EICR on domestic where the BG RCD's did not trip @ 5 x, in less than 20ms which was required for TT installation, hence answer was to get PME fitted but worth noting. Never had that trouble with more well known manufacturers RCD's, tripping @ 20ms Crabtree, Wylex, hagar , etc oh yes and of course schneider

Had quite a few issues with the BG consumer units usually trying to get the knock outs to knock out (I have had a few buckled carcase ) but never an issue getting them replaced surprisingly. Also trying to keep the breakers straight while tightening to the busbar as often look like a row of condemned houses.
When posible i have started fitting Contactum boards as they appear to be a lot more substantial also never had any issues with them. The only boards I seem to have issues with seem to be from the BG, CED, MCG type of equipment anyone got any recommendations on any decent ones with deals on them
MCG, CED, axiom, BG, Chint, proteus and others I probably can't remember are all absolute crap in my books. MK boards are rubbish too but are less common now.

MCG, CED, axiom, BG, Chint, proteus and others I probably can't remember are all absolute crap in my books. MK boards are rubbish too but are less common now.
Hate to break it to you but MK are back now - CEF are doing the new ones with SPD (in black!) and Type A RCDs - will be interesting to see how they are if anyone wants to take the plunge....

Hi I also have had trouble with BG RCD's , was completing EICR on domestic where the BG RCD's did not trip @ 5 x, in less than 20ms which was required for TT installation, hence answer was to get PME fitted but worth noting. Never had that trouble with more well known manufacturers RCD's, tripping @ 20ms Crabtree, Wylex, hagar , etc oh yes and of course schneider
Might want to check the regs there fella. For TT, max disconnection time 200ms, not 20. 40ms at 5X for additional protection.

Well said, for supposedly good (or was) manufacturer they are always on the huh, sorry Suffolk saying not straight
upnorth we don't mince words, we say on the pi$$.

Reply to BG (British General) consumer units in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock