Discuss Book Advice in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

B

bazfalty

I've just brought basic electrical installtion work by trever linsley which I'm sure is a good book for after I've learnet the basics. but I dont really know anything about electrics which book would you recomend. I'm looking to do either a 2330 course or to do a 4 -6 weeks intensive training course but I would like to learn the basics before I go on any of them.
So even though I'm glad I've got the book for when I start a course I would like to have a more basic knowlegde before hand. So any suggestions on books or ebooks will be aprreciated.

Thanks

Baz, it doesn't get any more 'basic' than Trevor Linsley. I suggest you get reading this and also but a copy of Brian Scaddan - electrical installation. Also, buy a book of calculations by AJ Watkins. Ours is a complex subject but these books cover the basics very well.

I agree with you some of the book is very basic, but it sarts going on about resistors in circuits but sosent explain what they are for. It also is a book for the 2330 and just wanted a general basic book not specifaclly for any exam just a electrics for dummy sort of thing. lol.

I'll have a look at the brian scaddan book.

These two books will see you through 2/3 years of study my friend. I'm afraid electrics isn't an 'armchair' course with a 'dummy's guide'

Sorry I'm not saying it is. But I'm thinking of going on a 4 week intensive course now instead of the 2330 and if I choose this way I just wanted a book to read before I went on the course so I wasn't too green. Would you say the brian scaddean one is more in depth. I just wanted a book on basics befor ei enroll on which ever course I decide then I can lookto the right books for the course.

Well, if you change your mind back to the 2330 course then I'd recommend the JTL books as they're specifically designed as an accompaniment for the course . . . and it just so happens - I've got a couple going spare if you need, for a decent price of course ;)

Nah, seriously, the JTL are a reasonably basic introduction, but missing a fair bit of stuff - and to the layman they're still not gonna be basic enough to be understood easily.

Really, there isn't a way of getting a completely basic breakdown about electrics, because fundamentally quite a lot of the principles are quite complex. To be honest, I'd think you'd be better of getting something a bit more in depth, and just reading up on it and trying to understand properly.

Scaddon is worth a try, as is the Whitfield book, which looks like this:

Book Advice {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

You mean like a Thesaurus of electrical terms bazfalty?

It's true what your saying, you may understand the principles and the jist of what is being said but if you don't know what the 'thing' is or does... You just don't quite get it.

I take it your not working in the trade baz?

I'm working in the trade as a sparky's mate but on large student accomadtion blocks. I've been doing it for around 10 weeks and I put trunking and baskets up and wire up bathroom pods but I dont know why im loading a feed cable to a box or anything and just wanted to know the basics before I go on a course, of why for example we use an neutral, live and earth why we use 2 core or 3 core, how to wire a ring main and stuff like that. Someone has recommended this book to me
Amazon.co.uk: "Reader's Digest" Wiring and Lighting Manual (Readers Digest): Books

So if that helps anyone I would like a few recomendations.

Thanks

Baz

Electrical Istallation Book 1 & 2 are very good. They are by JTL. ISBN for book 2 is ISBN 978-0-435402-00-6

READERS DIGEST:eek:i think they maybe better books out there !
17th regs /osg (when its released) various offerings from the niceic and any number of text books reccommended by the good folk on this forum

READERS DIGEST:eek:i think they maybe better books out there !
17th regs /osg (when its released) various offerings from the niceic and any number of text books reccommended by the good folk on this forum

:D:D Had one look at the reders digst and nearly ****ed myself. think someone must of been taking the ****.

Reply to Book Advice in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock