Discuss British gas smart meter no power in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

bigspark17

-
Arms
Reaction score
I have a customer with a bg smart meter. The meter has £16 credit but no power coming out of meter to consumer unit. Anyone had issues like this? Trying to get to speak to a bg advisor is a nightmare. Help please :)

I have had the same and again BG were atrocious in terms of customer support. They said they would come out within ten working days i.e. a couple of weeks. I had established that there was voltage/live to the meter and not beyond but of course they would not accept a qualified electricians statement and required their own proof. This happened when the cut-out was changed and power removed from the smart meter. Now I know if you look through threads that it is tin foil hat theory that there is an auto switch that turns off when tampering with the cut-out/supply to meter this happened in this case. I called the DNO instead and said there is no supply to the property and cunningly got them to deal with BG. BG reiterated two weeks to replace meter. Result??? observe and wonder!British gas smart meter no power IMG_3436.JPG - EletriciansForums.net

Thanks @Vortigern. Yes seems to be the exact issue im having! How can they leave customers without power for 2 weeks.? Did you bypass the meter or the DNO.? They want to charge £3,60 p/m for calls to customer service?!!!!

I have had the same and again BG were atrocious in terms of customer support. They said they would come out within ten working days i.e. a couple of weeks. I had established that there was voltage/live to the meter and not beyond but of course they would not accept a qualified electricians statement and required their own proof. This happened when the cut-out was changed and power removed from the smart meter. Now I know if you look through threads that it is tin foil hat theory that there is an auto switch that turns off when tampering with the cut-out/supply to meter this happened in this case. I called the DNO instead and said there is no supply to the property and cunningly got them to deal with BG. BG reiterated two weeks to replace meter. Result??? observe and wonder!View attachment 48665

Now that's "smartened" up the metering job...

I have not seen or played with these alleged "auto-interlocked" meters....but if true:rolleyes: ,there is going to be some downsides,to an entire streets worth of them,dropping all their load,on an interruption of the supply...

I did post this picture previously with a view to allowing people to think I did it just to cause a stir! It was the DNO actually. The guy from the DNO said it was unacceptable to leave clients without power and would breach OFGEM rules and cause BG to be subject to fines so he got permission to bypass the meter until BG thought to deign to attend which by the way was the next day and rectify the supply.

for calls to customer service?!!!!
Hence I got the DNO in the big boys as clearly I did not have the standing to be effective in this situation they phoned them. And I must take my hat to them they were absolutely brilliant! And what was really good was that the DNO man pointed out that this was going to cost BG a lot of money for them attending and re-attending to put in fuse etc. Love it!

Last edited by a moderator:
I think BG's financial obligations,will get much,much more serious,when in the future,someone bothers to investigate their sales and practice history...and apply some retribution,a la PPI and bank charging...:)

I have had the same and again BG were atrocious in terms of customer support. They said they would come out within ten working days i.e. a couple of weeks. I had established that there was voltage/live to the meter and not beyond but of course they would not accept a qualified electricians statement and required their own proof. This happened when the cut-out was changed and power removed from the smart meter. Now I know if you look through threads that it is tin foil hat theory that there is an auto switch that turns off when tampering with the cut-out/supply to meter this happened in this case. I called the DNO instead and said there is no supply to the property and cunningly got them to deal with BG. BG reiterated two weeks to replace meter. Result??? observe and wonder!View attachment 48665
Cool, bypass the "stupid" meter and tape the tails together...... ;o))))

It’s a choc box.
Hair cut to get the tails to fit in the 30A connector block.
A professional would have separated the strands 2,2,3 so that they would all fit in the 3 connectors in the box without cutting any strands out.

Tomorrow I will reveal what is under the tape you see if you behave it is something only experienced electricians use in a situation such as by passing supplies you have probably never seen anything like it. And @SWD it is not cardboard you silly sausage.:cool:British gas smart meter no power connector - EletriciansForums.net

Reply to British gas smart meter no power in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock