Currently reading:
british gas

Discuss british gas in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Recruiting in my area. Offering 26k plus benefits. Ie holidays van tools sick pay.

Any one work for them? Looking to see what they are like before i waste my time filing out the huge application

TBH mate i'd stick with local authority at the Mo. O.K the pay normally aint great especially working to S.O.R but at least you should get a reasonable flow as councils have a huge stock especially with maintenance. Try and get on the voids. Tests and remedials should see you straight through this crap period.

Recruiting in my area. Offering 26k plus benefits. Ie holidays van tools sick pay.

Any one work for them? Looking to see what they are like before i waste my time filing out the huge application

I subbed for them on the gas side - fitting & repairing central heating systems - and my experience was if you don't mind doing a quick, rough job that you can't take pride in it's the perfect job for you.

I used to work for another part of Centrica, the guys with the yellow vans. Each job you were sent to had a guestimated repair time based on what the customer had said. To be fair most of the time it was reasonably accurate, but we all know what the customer says and what you really find are poles apart. It was all jobs per shift, straight forward jobs no problem with your count, but if you got just one iffy one your count went out of the window with no chance of getting it back the next day. I worked in Birmingham so most of the time my count was ok, as the jobs were close together. But if you worked in the sticks or Wales or Scotland and you looked at your travelling time between jobs you had no chance of making your jobs per shift. Most of the guys I knew who worked these areas got made redundant because of it. So eyes open if you go for it and good luck

Got a call out on Christmas Eve afternoon to an old (age wise) neighbor, his electrics in the bed/living room and kitchen were not working. Stopped what I was doing and went around to have a look and found one MCB was tripping RCD on an old Wylex board. Two ring circuits went into MCB. One of the rings had a L-E fault. Isolated that ring and fortunately the remaining working ring was the main one he needed. Gave him a good price, he has done favors for me in past, and said I would come back after Christmas to sort problem out. He then tells me he has got cover for all his appliances and wiring with British Gas and he will give them a call to sort it out! If it was not for the fact he is getting on for 90 he might not have made his next birthday. Driving past a few days later a BG van was outside so I assume he has now got it sorted.

In 2005 I worked for them for 2 months, that included the 2 induction weeks.

I don't know if it has changed, the customers were not happy as what they paid for and what they got was not the same thing.
I went to one person whos lights were not working, because they were not wired right, tht made the insurance void!!

Reply to british gas in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back