Discuss Building control / works certificate in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Jimjamyaha

-
DIY
Reaction score
Hi,

In 2005 would building control / works certificate have been required for a new / extending kitchen wiring, new ceiling lights and oven installation?

In 2007 would building control / works certificate have been required for new ceiling lights, sockets, replacement of electric shower and replacement of a ventilation fan in a bathroom/utility room?

Asking as work done in a property to purchase. Vendor and builders being quite certain that certificate or building control not required.

We are suspicious as after an EICR basic faults found (no grommets in backboxes, lights not fire rated for a ceiling... Could go on).

Many thanks for your professional replies.

As far as I recall, Part P was introduced in 2005.
Any work started, or work where planning permission had been given before the introduction of Part P, would not have been required to comply.
That being said, the lack of grommets is more a non-compliance with electrical Regulations than a non-compliance with Part P.
Would need more information regarding the lack of fire rating for the lights.

Like for like replacement in the bathroom providing no alterations took place, no. Utility room could be a grey area if associated with the kitchen.

Thanks everyone for your replies.

So, to sum up so far. Work in kitchen was a notifiable location according to Part P which was valid from 1 Jan 2005.
Work took place after this in mid/late 2005.

New lights and sockets were introduced (possibly on a new circuit as EICR found 2 circuits present in kitchen). The light are recessed spots in the ceiling and def not fire-rated and are in a plasterboard ceiling. Above are 3 further stories of house.

For the utility room (really a downstairs bathroom) (separated by a door from the kitchen) in 2007 this involved a refurb of replacing a ventilation fan, an electric shower but in a new location/larger size of shower area (although no confirmation that the unit power was actually like-for-like, could have easily been uprated), new ceiling lights added, new sockets added.

EICR findings:
Building control / works certificate Screenshot 2019-07-04 at 22.22.32 - EletriciansForums.netBuilding control / works certificate Screenshot 2019-07-04 at 22.22.38 - EletriciansForums.net

I think I disagree with nearly all of those observations

Not being an expert myself I'm genuinely intrigued about the observations, and what would make you suggest a different view. Is it a matter of approach with a set of frameworks kind of thing?

Reply to Building control / works certificate in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock