Discuss Building Regulations breached? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

adriana

DIY
Reaction score
Can anyone please, tell me is there any sign of breach of Building Regulations here? My new build has been built with space for a single meter box, however, a second one was installed at a later stage. The latest borescope inspection has revealed that there is no lintel above the second box and DPC or cavity tray is missing, also the second box is installed a lot higher than 1100mm from Gr.level. I have also noticed that there multiple unnecessary holes incorrectly cut (sharp edges) to cable entry position.

please, if is any qualified Electrical Engineer to give me some advice, I will much appreciate it.
Just a quick note: The house is still under NHBC warranty.

Attachments

• Building Regulations breached? IMG_0378 - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG_0378.jpeg
    128.3 KB · Views: 129
  • Building Regulations breached? IMG_0380 - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG_0380.jpeg
    129.2 KB · Views: 127
  • Building Regulations breached? 3c.JPG - EletriciansForums.net
    3c.JPG
    100.2 KB · Views: 121
  • Building Regulations breached? 3d.JPG - EletriciansForums.net
    3d.JPG
    50 KB · Views: 120
  • Building Regulations breached? DSC_7751.JPG - EletriciansForums.net
    DSC_7751.JPG
    46.9 KB · Views: 116
  • Building Regulations breached? IMG_0224 - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG_0224.jpeg
    141.3 KB · Views: 115
  • Building Regulations breached? IMG_0225 - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG_0225.jpeg
    155.2 KB · Views: 111
  • Building Regulations breached? IMG_2150 - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG_2150.jpeg
    95.4 KB · Views: 113
  • Building Regulations breached? IMG_2160 - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG_2160.png
    650.1 KB · Views: 117
  • Building Regulations breached? IMG_2129 - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG_2129.jpg
    193 KB · Views: 117
Standard new build I’m afraid , some of the stuff I seen on new builds in recent years is truly shocking
Hello Sir.
Would this issue qualify as a breach in Building Regulations? I assume it will, but better check with a qualified Electrician before contacting NHBC.

Hello Sir.
Would this issue qualify as a breach in Building Regulations? I assume it will, but better check with a qualified Electrician before contacting NHBC.

Missing lintel supports , missing DPC , fire barrier breaches , any potential structural defect will fall under building issues not electrical problems

It looks like it was installed to house the DP MCB protecting the SWA submain.
Is there any chance to explain to me in other words, please. Im not an electrician, Im just a poor desperate woman Who tries hard to understand what is right and what is wrong. So far I spent 6 months reading the Building regs, but it's still a lot to learn. All I know is if something is not right with a New Build, then We must be protected by NHBC. Sadly is not always the case.
[automerge]1572871322[/automerge]
Where is your consumer unit (fuse board) located in relation to these meter boxes?
my consumer unit is on the other side of the house, 5 meters from the Meter box.

Hi,who is the builder?
This may give us an indication of how much help you may receive?

I don't need any further information,however,to inform you that the NHBC will be zero help.

Even a lay person can see that both these boxes have not been installed with any professionalism. Have you asked the developer to comment on the installation method and the various holes that have been left?

I don’t seem to notice any cavity insulation either. Is that not a requirement.

Is there any chance to explain to me in other words, please. Im not an electrician, Im just a poor desperate woman Who tries hard to understand what is right and what is wrong. So far I spent 6 months reading the Building regs, but it's still a lot to learn. All I know is if something is not right with a New Build, then We must be protected by NHBC. Sadly is not always the case.
[automerge]1572871322[/automerge]

my consumer unit is on the other side of the house, 5 meters from the Meter box.

That’s poor design then; because your CU is over 3 metres away from the meter, it will require a switch fuse to provide protection to that black cable. Something you don’t have, and something that should of had better design in the first place.

Do house of the same style of yours have the same set up?

That’s poor design then; because your CU is over 3 metres away from the meter, it will require a switch fuse to provide protection to that black cable. Something you don’t have, and something that should of had better design in the first place.

Do house of the same style of yours have the same set up?

Whilst it is a poor design choice the DP MCB in the top meter box will provide adequate protection.
[automerge]1572871882[/automerge]
This is something I dont understand, space in the 1st Box permitted to install everything in only one box.

In theory yes there is space, but in reality the equipment in the top box would have been fitted before the meter was installed and the meter fitters would likely have created a fuss if it had been installed in the bottom box.

Even a lay person can see that both these boxes have not been installed with any professionalism. Have you asked the developer to comment on the installation method and the various holes that have been left?

I don’t seem to notice any cavity insulation either. Is that not a requirement.
Yes, you are absolutely right, the insulation is missing. The developer can no longer be involved as 2 years have passed, this could only classify as 3-10 years BuildMark Warranty Cover from NHBC.

Whilst it is a poor design choice the DP MCB in the top meter box will provide adequate protection.

In theory yes there is space, but in reality the equipment in the top box would have been fitted before the meter was installed and the meter fitters would likely have created a fuss if it had been installed in the bottom box.
It is a poor design, seems almost like an after thought, or the designer was unaware of DNO requirements.

The other Houses within the same development have only one meter box, but it is located to the front elevation, much closer to the consumer unit.

The other Houses within the same development have only one meter box, but it is located to the front elevation, much closer to the consumer unit.
Someone dropped a clanger then, and placed the electrical supply cable in the wrong place!

Have you made contact with NHBC? Just because the 2 year developers warranty has passed, doesn’t negate them from responsibility for poor workman ship.
I would consider getting some legal advice at this late stage; did you buy this house from new, or are you a subsequent owner?

Someone dropped a clanger then, and placed the electrical supply cable in the wrong place!

Have you made contact with NHBC? Just because the 2 year developers warranty has passed, doesn’t negate them from responsibility for poor workman ship.
I would consider getting some legal advice at this late stage; did you buy this house from new, or are you a subsequent owner?
I purchased the House from new.

They are on for a 30%+ fall in profits,come January....maybe they started cutting costs way before....
Not much joy in saying that,going off pictures and experience,you will be stuck with the current arrangement,unless rectified at your own expense.

Reply to Building Regulations breached? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock