Discuss Cable in Plastic trunking in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

You still here, said you were going to bed, lightweight :biggrin:

I went to bed then grabbed the iPad when the mrs was asleep!

we install at 1500 and put boards at ceiling height :)

we do domestic but not new builds but even they are at celing height

I will never put a new board (not a change) at ceiling height, i usually put them at shoulder height to me (makes it easy to put together then!)

Thanks Lee
Where is the mention of 450 UKESRail?

You know what? I am not afraid to admit I was wrong here. I checked this morning and it is only new build that must follow Part M. That is what this forum is all about. What I would say though is if you were re-wiring an elderly ladies house and the sockets were all just above the skirting I would consider it a breach of the building regs to put them back as they were.

You know what? I am not afraid to admit I was wrong here. I checked this morning and it is only new build that must follow Part M. That is what this forum is all about. What I would say though is if you were re-wiring an elderly ladies house and the sockets were all just above the skirting I would consider it a breach of the building regs to put them back as they were.

Why? Existing installations are not covered by part M of the building regs. Only new builds or anything that comes under LABC is.

Nothing wrong with moving the height of sockets as long as they are no worse than what they were installed originally.

There are several conflicting building regs with respect to height of DIST boards.

for example.

if in a building that was reasonably likely to flood at the suggested height...well tgen it can go higher...

Why? Existing installations are not covered by part M of the building regs. Only new builds or anything that comes under LABC is.

Nothing wrong with moving the height of sockets as long as they are no worse than what they were installed originally.

Why would you put them back at that height? To cause the lady no end of suffering?? Reg 553-01-17 states that where portable equipment is likely to be used the socket should be conveniently accessible.

You say nothing wrong but I would leave that re-wire thinking I had not done what was right for the user.

Why would you put them back at that height? To cause the lady no end of suffering?? Reg 553-01-17 states that where portable equipment is likely to be used the socket should be conveniently accessible.

You say nothing wrong but I would leave that re-wire thinking I had not done what was right for the user.

please dont try and make out I said anything you have just implied in your reply.

I haven't asked for an admission mate, in fact if you care to look I have said that I enjoyed our discussion. No I would not put an elderly person's sockets back at skirting board level, I'd advise them to have them at a height more appropriate to their physical condition whether that be 450, 550 a metre or whatever. I rewired a flat for a young woman in her 20s a few weeks back and her sockets, after a discussion, went at 450. Had she objected to that then no amount of advice would have changed it, they'd have went in at the height she wanted them as long as flexes were not put under strain or risk of damage,

This is why we have a section call Variations......or in the real world....common sense.
New build regs are to cover dda and all aspects which could be considered.
If you rewire a house for a wheelchair bound person, you may consider lowering the light switches to suit him, not the regs. Moving the sockets to 2m, to suit him.....its his house, he owns it, and he decides what he requires......if you fill out your variations from the bs, you are explaining your practical reasons for these variations.

Reply to Cable in Plastic trunking in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net