Discuss Can All LED's Be Dimmed? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Did you not read the information in the link that you provided?

The second sentence says
The Varilight V-Pro Eclipse Remote Dimmer Light Switch has been created to work in conjunction with good quality dimmable LED Light Bulbs.

That rather suggests that there may be two types of LED lamps. Those that can be dimmed, and those that cannot.

Edit: Handy link Dimmable Led Bulbs « Categories « Low Cost LED Light Bulbs

They probably can be dimmed, but if they're not intended to be dimmed you may risk damaging the lights or drivers.

They probably can be dimmed, but if they're not intended to be dimmed you may risk damaging the lights or drivers.

TMESS. I've had a chance to look at the link to the LED lamps that you provided.

It clearly says in the spec
Dimmable (Option) No

It would be great if you could have taken the time to read the information then you would not have needed ask!

PS Welcome to the forum.

LED lamps which are not designed to be dimmed will not dim they have the same light output to a certian level and then go out, and they do not last very long either.

LED Which are designed to be dimmed will dim to a certain degree and some can be dimmed by simple rotary dimmers.

I use mainly Osram or Philips LED lamps for both dimming and non dimming purposes. THey are more expensive than the chinese versions, but there is more comeback in case of failiure.

Thanks for all of the replies fellas. I did in deed read the specs and read the lights were not dimmable. However, I wondered whether that was because they did not have the correct driver included with the 'kit'. Otherwise what makes some LED's dimmable and others not? Are the actual LED lamps different?

I take it that the 'dimmable' switch will damage the lights and should not be used with them, as Adam W suggests?

Often more the case of matching the dimmer choice to the driver (xformer). To ensure that the driver stays within spec whilst being dimmed (more likely to damage the driver than the leds).

^^^ As above. You could probably convert a non-dimmable bulb into a dimmable one by changing the driver, but more often than not the driver is incorporated within the bulb in the case of retro-fit fittings, or in the fitting in the case of 'fit and forget' fittings, so replacing the driver would involve pulling the bulb or fitting apart and risk damaging it.
Much easier just to buy a dimmable bulb or fitting, then you can rely on the manufacturer having matched the lamp and driver, and if they haven't done that properly you can get your money back under warranty.

I had a strange side effect with dimmed LEDs in our kitchen. I use 8 donlighters with 5W led GU20 lamps. The light was too intense and too bright so I istalled a dimmer.
When switched on I could 'hear' them on fm radio, DAB radio and - pending on the adjusted brightness - even on telly. In the end I had to remove the dimmer and replaced hald of the lamps with 2 watt types. I don't know whether the problem is with the dimmer or the lamps. If I get some time to spare I would like to investigapate this a bit further. So, I'd say not all LEDs are dimmable with every dimmer.

I had a strange side effect with dimmed LEDs in our kitchen. I use 8 donlighters with 5W led GU20 lamps. The light was too intense and too bright so I istalled a dimmer.
When switched on I could 'hear' them on fm radio, DAB radio and - pending on the adjusted brightness - even on telly. In the end I had to remove the dimmer and replaced hald of the lamps with 2 watt types. I don't know whether the problem is with the dimmer or the lamps. If I get some time to spare I would like to investigapate this a bit further. So, I'd say not all LEDs are dimmable with every dimmer.

This is common consequence of using a cheap and poorly designed dimmer, the cable(s) form the output of the dimmer to the lamps acts as a aerial radiating RFI generated on the fast switching edges of the dimmer's drive waveform, causing local wideband interference to radio and TV reception as you have experienced.

Reply to Can All LED's Be Dimmed? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock