Discuss Can I eliminate dimmable LED flicker by wiring in a resistor? in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I am using 3x dimmable bulbs (LAP SES Candle LED Light Bulb 470lm 5.9W 4 Pack - https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/lap-ses-candle-led-light-bulb-470lm-5-9w-4-pack/9586t) with this dimmer switch (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lieber-Dimmer-Rocker-Switch-Trailing/dp/B088P61884). As the dimmer is turned down the lights begin to flicker. Can I get rid of the flickering by wiring a resistor in the light fixture? If so, what resistor would I need (and where could I buy one)?

Thanks in advance :)

Does the dimmer allow you to change the dimming mode, e.g. leading edge, trailing edge? Some lamps work better with one mode rather than the other. If you have any other makes, e.g. Varilight VPro dimmer module (which can be set in different modes), you could try changing the dimmer module.

On the other hand, the LAP lamps are perhaps not noted for being top quality and might be a bit fussy as to how they are dimmed, you could try another brand of lamp, which might be easier & cheaper.

Not sure I'd recommend going down the road of trying to add a resistive load in parallel, which would need to be rated at 230V, and for whatever power it would dissipte, with somewhere for the heat to escape, and in an electrically safe manner. You could easily create a fire risk if not careful. Changing the dimmer module or the lamps has to be a much easier & safer option.

I had same problem, in my case G9 lamps, and a simple on/off electronic switch without a neutral. G9-comp.jpgthe small lamp shown came with the chandelier, replacing one with a quartz lamp stopped the flicker, however whole idea was to go LED, we looked at the published list of bulbs which should work, but they didn't, so my wife found the much larger bulb to left, we got 5, no flicker, however within the day one had failed, she ordered 4 more, and when they arrived I decided to break open the faulty one to see what was inside.

After the full wave rectifier there was a smoothing capacitor nearly size of the other smaller bulb, also found a dry joint, fixed and bulb put back into service. Since the smoothing capacitor is after the rectifier there is no way to fit one yourself. Since it also uses a capacitor to current limit they will not work on DC.

So I have 9 quartz bulbs, 6 LED small bulbs, and 4 LED large bulbs in stock as we tried different bulbs that work but no with a neutral less electronic switch.

And there is nothing on the spec for the bulbs to say which do and which don't have smoothing capacitors, in the main if I want some smart control I use smart bulbs, of the 5 smart switches fitted, only 2 still in use.

Does the dimmer allow you to change the dimming mode, e.g. leading edge, trailing edge? Some lamps work better with one mode rather than the other. If you have any other makes, e.g. Varilight VPro dimmer module (which can be set in different modes), you could try changing the dimmer module.

On the other hand, the LAP lamps are perhaps not noted for being top quality and might be a bit fussy as to how they are dimmed, you could try another brand of lamp, which might be easier & cheaper.

Not sure I'd recommend going down the road of trying to add a resistive load in parallel, which would need to be rated at 230V, and for whatever power it would dissipte, with somewhere for the heat to escape, and in an electrically safe manner. You could easily create a fire risk if not careful. Changing the dimmer module or the lamps has to be a much easier & safer option.
Lap products are a must to avoid.

I have used LAP grid system a lot, and it has done what I wanted, I have also had problems with Philips bulbs, and going by own experience I would say Philips bulbs are also a must to avoid. But first is to look at the compatibility chart link is one for my switch, better if you look at the one published for your switch.

The problem is only the move expensive bulbs seem to be on the chart, and the G9 Philips Master 2.3 watt bulb recommended did flicker when used. So some times the charts don't work.

nowtwrnong with LAP LEDs. fitted loads and only had a couple of duds. likewise their chrome sockets and switches are OK. better value and quality than som other brands costing twice as much.

and if OP is still around, what he needs is a snubber. usually a R-C combination. 10p's worth of components stuck in epoxy to make up to a fiver.

Reply to Can I eliminate dimmable LED flicker by wiring in a resistor? in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net