Discuss Can't get overload circuit in house working again in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

tim1977

DIY
Reaction score
A circuit in my house quit working when a toaster oven and portable electric heater where both running on it. Normally the simple fix would be resetting the tripped breaker. However, the breaker did not appear to be tripped. I turned it off and on just to make sure and still no luck. Next step I unplugged everything that was plugged into receptacles on the circuit. Nothing still. Next step, I replaced the receptacle that the toaster and heater were plugged into when the circuit went out. Northing still and no sign of damage to the receptacle I replaced. Next step, I replaced the circuit breaker. Nothing still. The really odd thing is one of the light fixtures on this circuit put off a slight amount of light when the switch is turned on. So slight you can only tell it is giving off if there is very little other light in the room. You can turn this on and off both by flipping the normal switch in the house you would use for that light as well as turning the breaker on and off for the entire circuit. I'm out of ideas for troubleshooting this problem. Any ideas?

Given your DIY status it really is at a stage where you need to call in a professional, it may be the case your wiring is damaged, I would recommend you leave the circuit off for safety reasons until you can get it inspected and tested.
Just for a response to your query, there are several possibilities here with some of them been a fire risk or electric safety risk to yourselfs, as we do not know whether the circuit is even wired correctly or the breaker sized correctly we cannot make a call on the issue.
You put - 'normally the simple fix is resetting the tripped breaker', are you saying this as a observation of a fault in general or because you have done this several times with this breaker in the past?

Reply to Can't get overload circuit in house working again in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock