Discuss Ceiling recessed down lighters in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

cut a couple of 2 ft. sq. holes in the ceiling and fit 2 of these.
Ceiling recessed down lighters 1559993750566 - EletriciansForums.net:sunglasses::sunglasses::sunglasses:

A 50W lamp gives off the same heat be it 12V or 230V
If you must fit halogens, fit 230V jobbies
had this argument with a lighting "designer". customer wanted smart lighting, whole house was approx. 120 downlighters. the "designer" specced 12V LEDs each with drivers. my input was "youse going to have problems". customer went with the designer's spec. and now is calling them back in to failures on a regular basis. he called me and asked if i could sort it out permanently. my reply was to rip out the £2000 he'd spent and start again from scratch. was not well received.

Cons.
6 halogens at 35W each (or 50W if you really want to burn your head), that’s 210W.
If they’re sitting under that, they will feel the heat.

Compare that to 6W LED and the energy saved alone will pay for the installation.

Halogens need replaced more frequently.

The heat from halogens can deteriorate the plasterboard ceiling

Pro
As above, halogens don’t flicker as LED do, but that’s almost imperceptable.

Halogens can be dimmed simply with traditional dimmers and newer smart switch dimmers.
LED lamps are still a little hit and miss with suitability.

I take it you mean the LED version of the old 12v dichroic? might of well had the GU10 type.
Sorry that was a reply to Tel's post 26 not got used to the new forum yet

OK , just spoke to the client , he said he wanted 240v halogen spots , citing that led's light is not as good as halogen , we have agreed to fit the GU10 fire rated holders and I will show him both types fitted so he can see the difference !

OK , just spoke to the client , he said he wanted 240v halogen spots , citing that led's light is not as good as halogen , we have agreed to fit the GU10 fire rated holders and I will show him both types fitted so he can see the difference !
Aren't these halogens being phased out now?

The LED light is only as good as the quality of lamp you but.

Cheap Chinese tat - cr*p light
Decent priced from known manufacturer - just as good as halogen

And you have the choice of colour temperature

But my original question was about regs for fitting , not whether or not my client wanted halogen or led spots !
These halogens get to approx 200 degrees C. so keep a distance away from anything combustible i.e. wooden joists and other fabric of the building.
Make also sure that there is no other debris ie rubbish that could cause ignition of a fire.
Consideration of building regulations would be a transmission of sound, fire and air through the hole.

Reply to Ceiling recessed down lighters in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock