Discuss Central heating controlled by raspberry pi and relay switch in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hey guys, im not a professional electrician, I just have a basic knowledge of some stuff.
In order for me to be able to explain what i want to do, I will first explain what is in place at the moment.
We have a 3 zone programmer which we never use as a programmer, we just turn on each zone manually when we want.
So i thought, since this is all done manually i could put together a raspberry pi connected to a 4 channel relay board and control the whole thing from my smartphone. I found all the software and hardware i need and i can make the relays open and close but I am not sure what to connect where on the relay in order to get the central heating to work as it works now.
Here is a picture of what the wires look like behind the programmer at the moment. The letters for the wires from left to right are: E,N,L,1,3,5
wires_behind_programmer.jpg

Here is a picture of the relay i have although the picture is of a 2 channel relay instead of 4 channel.
relay.jpg

From my basic understanding, what i thought i should do is connect N and L together and then connect them to the COM terminal of the relays. Then connect 1,3,5 to the NO of each relay but I'm not really sure and I don't want to burn anything.

Can you please advise me on what to connect where?
Thank you in advance.

An interesting project. Look at your controller wiring diagram that should yield what is doing what. Is your boiler old or new, would it void the warranty if you control it with a non approved system? Talk with the manufacturer of your boiler and controller, tech department and discuss it with them.

@buzzlightyear I have heard of them but i don't really need any of that, i just saw something that is done manually and found a project for my self

@Matthewd29 I meant connecting the black and the first red wire, if what im saying is idiotic just say so, thats why i asked before doing anything.

@Vortigern This is the wiring diagram from the programmer manual
wiring_diagram.png
The boiler is about 20 years old so i dont think there is still warranty on that.

@Leesparkykent The programmer is a Channelplus h37xl and it controls 2 heating zones and hot water at the moment

No don't connect them together, connect the live to the common terminals and use the switch lives from the time clock on the 2 normally open terminals (presume normally open for what you need) The neutral doesn't seem to be needed on the relay shown

First off you only have 2 relays however you have a 3 Channel Programmer !

If you want to control all of the channels individually your need another relay.

Another thing to note If you have a Y plan then your also need to use the nc contact on the relay you use for hot water for hot water off.

Other than that Rpi works well I have a similar setup with mine a switching my garden lights.

***edit sorry just read its for CH only and you have 4 relays ***

dunno anything about this raspberry pie. i like this though:

and of course same band was first ever play on radio 1, before it went into shyte "music". september 1967.

You would probably make alot of Money. I noticed a thing called "Wise Box" the other day in a local wholesalers looks like a Rpi with a relay board but 4x the price with just basic wifi control.

Reply to Central heating controlled by raspberry pi and relay switch in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net