Discuss central heating wiring in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

simonatlondon

Hi guys,

Ant help would be great. I am about to do a complete rewire, I need some information on wiring up a system that will incorporate a boiler, time clock, stat and perhaps an immersion.

I would like some pointers please of where I can look up the required wiring.

Thanks.

Have you tried looking on the boiler manufacturers web site and the web site for the timer etc.? not always easy to get the info, sometimes the installer of the boiler may be able to help.

Until you said immersion I thought you meant combi, are you not wiring pump, valve etc? is it a y plan?

monty there will be a pump, valve etc etc. Its a basic domestic system. A few rooms will have underfloor heating which will be operated by their own stats and manifold. I really do need a diagram that I can look up.

cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
Central heating wiring can be quite complicated for a novice, and I have seen some qualified sparks struggle if they are not familier. If you are not careful you can end up with backfeeds, valves doing funny things etc etc.

Best get a decent electrician in who knows the crack.

Immersion heater is streight forward. That is normally just a 16a radial circuit in 2.5 with a 20a double pole switch to turn it on and off,(in kitchen or wherever) and another 20a double pole switch as an isolator next to the heater, and 2.5 TQ flex to heater it self.

If you are in Yorkshire I will come and do it for you !

Thanks spudmeister, im in london. i've been a sparky for a little while now but no experience on this side of the installs. What do you guys think of the short courses available that teach central heating wiring? I have been looking some of these up and they seem to fit the gap in my knowledge.

So sorry monty. Thanks very much.

That diagram you posted is fantastic. Its exactly what im looking for. Are they alway manufacterer specific?

Thats alright lol

Yes generally manufacturer specific but everything you need to know is on there just use your own literature to adjust

hope it all goes well:)

yeah ch systems can be i bit of a brain tease, when i used to work for british gas they had there own wiring centres and a bag of links wires, you couldnt go wrong as everything was labelled up, however you didnt really learn for future jobs where there are no drawings. once you becomre familiar, you just think of it as been a series of switch wires, often helps to know what the valve does as well, like when the brown is energised that brings the orange on which brings the boiler on and on and on!

good luck

Thanks spudmeister, im in london. i've been a sparky for a little while now but no experience on this side of the installs. What do you guys think of the short courses available that teach central heating wiring? I have been looking some of these up and they seem to fit the gap in my knowledge.

Sorry Simon, diddnt read thread properly, thought you were a householder not a spark.

I used to work for an industrial heating company that did fairly big jobs and enjoyed all aspects of heating installs.

Will help where I can , it depends what system you are using, but google Y plan or S plan and that should bring up a few diagrams.

any questions , just ask.

Reply to central heating wiring in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock