Discuss Changed a switch, and now there's no power to other rooms. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

phlip79

DIY
Reaction score
I installed a motion sensor switch in our laundry room. It works.

But, now the lights in the next room won't work, and a couple power outlets down the hall don't have power.

Posting a photo of the box. Please let me know what other useful info I can provide?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-11-19 at 10.26.10 PM.png
    910 KB · Views: 42

But, now the lights in the next room won't work, and a couple power outlets down the hall don't have power.

Posting a photo of the box. Please let me know what other useful info I can provide?

Thanks in advance.
You must have broken the Live feed, or N to the rest of the switches when you installed the Motion Sensor

Thanks in advance.
Phlip are you sure you hooked the Motion detector right and are the only 2 wires we see that was hooked to the original switch
[automerge]1574281116[/automerge]
Phlip are you sure you hooked the Motion detector right and are the only 2 wires we see that was hooked to the original switch

Phlip you have your 2 black wires crossed

ok,
there are 3 wires that are being used, ignoring the grey ones that you have not touched?

one is a permanent supply
one is a feed out to other switches that need a permanent supply
one is a feed out to the light that was fed from the switch.

this is only an educated guess but I suspect that you might have got the connections wrong.
if you joint all 3 wires together then the light should be on and the other circuits should work.
edit,
i have just thought about @Megawatt comment and he is probably correct.

I believe the blacks are the hots (live in, live out) and red the traveller (live to light). The blacks look separated now but should be together.

Reply to Changed a switch, and now there's no power to other rooms. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net