Discuss Changing thick cooker wire for standard plug wire at socket in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

richm81

DIY
Reaction score
Hi

I am attempting some DIY

I had the wire installed as I was going to have an electric cooker. This changed and I now just want to put a double switched socket in the hole.

Could someone please tell me how I can convert the wire so it is smaller and fits in the back of a standard switched socket....

I have tested the voltage and it read 241 volts.

Thank you
Richard20230226_102519.jpg

Most double sockets come with enough space in the terminals for 3 or even 4 2.5mm cables, so should be enough space. If not, try another make of socket.

i assume the red/black is the feed in, and it is isolated at the moment? You shouldn't be testing a live cable with it like that...

Does the brown/blue goes down to the cooker outlet? Just have to fold it up unused in the back of the box.
You definitely wont get 2 of that size into one terminal, if you were thinking of changing the cooker outlet plate to a socket as well.

Most double sockets come with enough space in the terminals for 3 or even 4 2.5mm cables, so should be enough space. If not, try another make of socket.

i assume the red/black is the feed in, and it is isolated at the moment? You shouldn't be testing a live cable with it like that...

Does the brown/blue goes down to the cooker outlet? Just have to fold it up unused in the back of the box.
You definitely wont get 2 of that size into one terminal, if you were thinking of changing the cooker outlet plate to a socket as well.

I actually haven't just tried to get the wires in lol
It looked just too big to bother. Will give it a try in a sec.

When the builder put it in he put it on an isolated circuit on mcb. The fuse has been kept out.

Yeah the end going down just goes under the floor for now in case I go electric oven in the future. I will cut it shorter and tuck it in.

Am I right that as it does not have to be earthed?

Thanks again

Aren't there any sparks around today who can install a flush box so that it ends up as described. I.e. 'Flush' with the finished surface.
Looks about 25mm back already, and if it's a kitchen, presumably there's likely to be tiles to be added yet.

Aren't there any sparks around today who can install a flush box so that it ends up as described. I.e. 'Flush' with the finished surface.
Looks about 25mm back already, and if it's a kitchen, presumably there's likely to be tiles to be added yet.

The walls in this house are all wonky!!

Turns out the wire went in the socket fine all along. Just had to use a longer screw in one side of the socket.

Thanks for the replies

On to the next of a thousand jobs

Much appreciated

20230226_114640.jpg

Reply to Changing thick cooker wire for standard plug wire at socket in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net