Discuss city and guilds advice....! in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

M

mc497

hi everyone,
Im brand new to the forum and need some advice regarding C&G 2392.
Basically im in the property maintenance business, and have for a long time been looking at becoming a domestic installer. Ive been down to the local training provider today and they have told me that they can offer me a tailor made course of part p and 17th edition, as i do have some electrical knowledge and experience. When I asked about the C&G 2392 he told me that i did not have to do this to certify my own work...?
Is this correct...?
Also, how is business lately for all you sparkies, has the slow down affected you quite as much as it has me...?
Cheers everyone, any help much appreciated...!

hi everyone,
Im brand new to the forum and need some advice regarding C&G 2392.
Basically im in the property maintenance business, and have for a long time been looking at becoming a domestic installer. Ive been down to the local training provider today and they have told me that they can offer me a tailor made course of part p and 17th edition, as i do have some electrical knowledge and experience. When I asked about the C&G 2392 he told me that i did not have to do this to certify my own work...?
Is this correct...?
Also, how is business lately for all you sparkies, has the slow down affected you quite as much as it has me...?
Cheers everyone, any help much appreciated...!

They are absolutely correct

I teach these courses , including the 2392.

Assuming the 'Part P' you refer to is the EAL Domestic Electrical Installers qual, this includes modules on inspection and testing (Initial Verification)

The 2392 is based on intitial verification and is Level 2, the same as the EAL course. The EAL course allows you to design, install, test, inspect and certify your own work in a domestic premises

Many of my EAL students go on to do the 2392 for two reasons:

A. They accept that 2391 is a step too far for them (at their present experience level) so they take the easier 2392 is a formal proof of inspecting and testing abilities

and / or

B. Whilst people generally know about the EAL course, they may not appreciate the amount of inspecting and testing you do on the course (with me anyway) so the 2392, again, is a formal certificate to back that up.

Some use as it purely as a stepping stone to 2391 and find it helps them GREATLY
:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Shakey,
Exactly as you said that the 2392 is really a stepping stone as such to the full 2391, is exactly what the people I saw today have said.
The tutor I spoke to said that alot of people find the 2391 quite difficult and that a good option for me would be to do the part p, and 17th edition, and than after say six months and a bit more experience I could go for the 2391.
Still, even though you can certify your own work without the 2392, I suppose it is still nice to hold the certificate as some sort of proof of your testing abilities..! What do you think, is it worth the extra money to do the 2392......?

Hi Shakey,
Exactly as you said that the 2392 is really a stepping stone as such to the full 2391, is exactly what the people I saw today have said.
The tutor I spoke to said that alot of people find the 2391 quite difficult and that a good option for me would be to do the part p, and 17th edition, and than after say six months and a bit more experience I could go for the 2391.
Still, even though you can certify your own work without the 2392, I suppose it is still nice to hold the certificate as some sort of proof of your testing abilities..! What do you think, is it worth the extra money to do the 2392......?

Exactly as I have explained - the certificate is good proof and people like it

Is it worth the extra mony, well you pays your money, you takes your choice - how much extra are they charging?

Where did you go to anyway, out of interest

I dont know exactly how much extra it would be, and the place is access training wales, based in cardiff.

sorry, I must have missed you, I was teaching a 17th edition course

I am the Training Manager there!!

Hi Shakey,
I was walking around with Dave this morning, and I think you were in a classroom teaching at the time, what a small world Ah..!
I started the 2330 course about four years ago, but to honest after about six months of going to Bridgend college, from Cardiff two evenings per week, I got a bit fed up, and when the tutor started banging on about NVQ's and that, that was the only true qualifications I thought the effort wasn't worth it, and I think they could have made six hours per week for three years into a shorter course but longer hours per week, but I realise most people myself included had to carry on with the day job.
If I did the course recommended to me this morning would I be able to call myself an electrician maybe after six months or a year of experience...?
Some people Ive noticed say you have to go down the 2330 or apprenteship way, and if you dont then you are not competant at all.
What do you think.

Hi Shakey,
I was walking around with Dave this morning, and I think you were in a classroom teaching at the time, what a small world Ah..!
I started the 2330 course about four years ago, but to honest after about six months of going to Bridgend college, from Cardiff two evenings per week, I got a bit fed up, and when the tutor started banging on about NVQ's and that, that was the only true qualifications I thought the effort wasn't worth it, and I think they could have made six hours per week for three years into a shorter course but longer hours per week, but I realise most people myself included had to carry on with the day job.
If I did the course recommended to me this morning would I be able to call myself an electrician maybe after six months or a year of experience...?
Some people Ive noticed say you have to go down the 2330 or apprenteship way, and if you dont then you are not competant at all.
What do you think.

Bridgend boy myself, spent many a 'happy' year in that college

Well you can call youself an 'electrician' anytime, but people like the JIB wont recognise you as an electrician until you have 2330, NVQ3, AM2 etc

So what? dont work JIB then.

We give you L2 and L3 quals

The EAL is a L2 qual and is domestic based
The 17th (2382,) 2392 and 2391 are commercial, industrial and domestic.

We have had students leave and go directly into all three genres, it ididnt seem to hold them back. We have had a big batch of students go straight into contracting in Swansea with a, *Shakey coughs politely* well known large contractor. Some go straight into working for themselves. Some have bought into franchises. We had a guy a few weeks ago who had worked as a mate for 7 or 8 years and just needed the quals.

In my opinion, do the courses, get out there and earn (both money and experience)

and if, and its a big if, you feel that sometime in the future that not having 2330 or equivalanet has held you back, than off you go to Bridgend again.

You pays your money, you takes your choice

good luck, and pop down again if you want to chat further;)

Reply to city and guilds advice....! in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock