Discuss Communal DB does it require RCD protection to be a sat EICR in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Question is does this DB really need RCD protection as there are only internal lights and sockets supplying this large building that used to be a mansion and is now 4 flats.

heres the DB its labelled L/L on the right only providing 3 light pendants a timer light and 2 single sockets all in the stairs and hallway.

Nothing outside though so i assume the C2 for no rcd protection for sockets outside is not relevant

any hidden regulations where it would unsat this ?

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_9332.jpeg
    398 KB · Views: 30
Can you think of a reason why RCD protection of domestic lighting and sockets is not required?

i am the electrician. thinking of a way to pass this eicr without having to replace the communal DB , might have to tell the customer its a db change
Are the sockets for communal use or are they cleaner sockets that require specific plugs? Also are the cables run surface or buried in the wall? Are the lights pendants or recessed? What are the protective devices in the DB?

You've been commissioned to compile a report. Inspect, test and report as necessary - it's not the role of an inspector to report a predetermined outcome.

Are the sockets for communal use or are they cleaner sockets that require specific plugs? Also are the cables run surface or buried in the wall? Are the lights pendants or recessed? What are the protective devices in the DB?
cleaner sockets 2 single sockets and 3 light pendants protective devices in the db are type 2 mcbs

cleaner sockets 2 single sockets and 3 light pendants protective devices in the db are type 2 mcbs
Sounds like they need an upgrade, it'll be the easiest way. As it's a landlord area you could get away with a valid risk assessment as to why there's no additional protection for the sockets, lights are a C3 but as its domestic you have to think of fire protection & surge protection. As it's been said you could just give them the EICR and walk away ??

i am the electrician. thinking of a way to pass this eicr without having to replace the communal DB , might have to tell the customer its a db change

When carrying out an EICR you need to remain impartial and report on the installation accurately.

Attempting to alter the outcome to suit the customer's, or your own, wishes is a corrupt practice.

Whatever the outcome of the EICR you would be advising the customer to consider improving the situation in that picture. For me one of the biggest issues there is the poor access to it all.

Is it domestic though?
Aside from the lighting this doesn't make much difference.
Think this is the relevant point. When I queried a similar scenario with Napit technical a year or two back I was advised that the communal lighting was not necessarily domestic in which case you are only coding for cables being less than 50mm deep (if that is the case).

Reply to Communal DB does it require RCD protection to be a sat EICR in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net