Discuss confused about cable requirements in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

T

tawraste

hi all,
can anyone help me out please? i am studying for a BTEC in electrical installations and i have run up against a very basic problem. i'd be very grateful if anyone can explain...
basically, i'm trying to assess the cable rating for a socket ring main. i am confused because i thought cables had to be rated higher than the protective device, but everywhere i look i see 2.5mm t&e being recommended with a 32A protective device.
when i look at the tables in the electrician's guide, 2.5mm t&e appears to be rated at 21A when sunk directly into a wall.
surely the cable will get damaged before the circuit gets shut off?
i'm obviously missing something here,but i cannot see the wood for the trees.
for reference, i'm calculating the figures for 8 13A sockets on 24metres of cable. no grouping or ambient temperature correction, but the cable will go straight through a 100mm insulated wall in two places. system is TNS, voltage 230v.
thanks in advance,
tawraste:)

Hi

Hope this helps with what you are saying 2.5mm is rated at 20A for a radial circuit if its a ring main the cable rating is 40A. The radial should be protected by a 16A fuse and the ring with a 32A fuse

Good luck

Chris

hi, thanks for your reply.
that does help a lot - i'm assuming the reason is that there are 2 paths to and from the consumer unit?
:)

Hiya

Yes indeed you are correct the fact that its a ring doubles the capacity. As a point of interest that may help you later no diversity allowed on the radial the ring is 100% then 40% thereafter

Regards

Chris

Hi

Hope this helps with what you are saying 2.5mm is rated at 20A for a radial circuit if its a ring main the cable rating is 40A. The radial should be protected by a 16A fuse and the ring with a 32A fuse

Good luck

Chris

Acat a 20A is acceptable for a radial on 2.5mm as long as area is not greater than 50sqM.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to confused about cable requirements in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock