Test Meter - Forum Sponsors since 2007!
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members
Advertisement - Content continues below

Discuss confused about cable requirements in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

tawraste

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

hi all,
can anyone help me out please? i am studying for a BTEC in electrical installations and i have run up against a very basic problem. i'd be very grateful if anyone can explain...
basically, i'm trying to assess the cable rating for a socket ring main. i am confused because i thought cables had to be rated higher than the protective device, but everywhere i look i see 2.5mm t&e being recommended with a 32A protective device.
when i look at the tables in the electrician's guide, 2.5mm t&e appears to be rated at 21A when sunk directly into a wall.
surely the cable will get damaged before the circuit gets shut off?
i'm obviously missing something here,but i cannot see the wood for the trees.
for reference, i'm calculating the figures for 8 13A sockets on 24metres of cable. no grouping or ambient temperature correction, but the cable will go straight through a 100mm insulated wall in two places. system is TNS, voltage 230v.
thanks in advance,
tawraste:)

A

acat

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hi

Hope this helps with what you are saying 2.5mm is rated at 20A for a radial circuit if its a ring main the cable rating is 40A. The radial should be protected by a 16A fuse and the ring with a 32A fuse

Good luck

Chris

T

tawraste

hi, thanks for your reply.
that does help a lot - i'm assuming the reason is that there are 2 paths to and from the consumer unit?
:)

A

acat

Hiya

Yes indeed you are correct the fact that its a ring doubles the capacity. As a point of interest that may help you later no diversity allowed on the radial the ring is 100% then 40% thereafter

Regards

Chris

T

tawraste

thanks a lot dude, you have helped me tremendously.
take it easy !
:)

D

daver

Hi

Hope this helps with what you are saying 2.5mm is rated at 20A for a radial circuit if its a ring main the cable rating is 40A. The radial should be protected by a 16A fuse and the ring with a 32A fuse

Good luck

Chris
Acat a 20A is acceptable for a radial on 2.5mm as long as area is not greater than 50sqM.

Last edited by a moderator:
Electrical2Go - Online Electrical Supplier
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Reply to confused about cable requirements in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
Top Bottom