Discuss IP rated switches for shed in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Steve T

-
DIY
Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm planning on adding some lighting to an old stone shed, there's currently a 2.5mm² SWA supply to the shed only supplying one IP rated socket, its fed from a 13A FCU on a 20A radial circuit. This is RCD protected, and the house has a TT earthing system. The run from house to shed is only 5-10m.

Main thing I'm looking for advice on is what brands of IP switches are people using? Or what brands do you like/don't like. Also what IP rated LED battens are good? Heard lots of mixed reviews on both so your opinions will be valuable!

Other question is, is there any reason to fuse down to 3A for the lights, from the OSG 1mm² cable can take 13A in conduit, so would be fine just on the 13A fcu inside, obviously it's easy to add a 3A one in the shed but no point overcomplicating if it's not required? I suppose some light fittings may require <13A fuse so maybe best to add it in anyway??

If you're wondering, my reasoning for wanting IP rated gear with conduit in the shed is because the walls are very crumbly old stone so don't want loads of bits falling off into switches/sockets.

Thanks for any advice!

All IP switches are much the same IMHO.

Although there are price differences between say MK and screwfix BG ones, I haven’t had an issue with the cheaper ones yet.

Just make sure they’re not screwed so tight to an uneven brick wall that it distorts the shape, makes it difficult to get the cover on properly.

Sorry for the late reply, the shed is physically around 3-4 metres from the closest house wall, and I'd estimate the cable run is 10m maximum. It is actually technically attached to the main house via a neighbours wall and then a garden wall, so I would have thought it can be considered part of the house.

BG are cheap and cheerful, but poor quality and the Closing brackets will break after some hot/cold weather. I’ve used Hager a few times and are good quality but stupidly priced. Click also have good ip rated sockets and switches at a decent price.

Reply to IP rated switches for shed in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net