Discuss Connecting 10/3 w/ ground conductors to existing manual generator switch? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

PatDIY

DIY
Reaction score
Hello, all.

Would appreciate your guidance with a generator manual switch connect.

10/3 Romex with ground will connect a L14-30 generator inlet box to an existing generator manual switch next to my load center. The 10/3 Romex with ground has been run, the L14-30 inlet box mounted, and the circuit terminated in the mounted L14-30 inlet box. I have a question about connecting to the generator manual switch.

There is an existing long male generator cord that had been hardwired to thegenerator manual switch which I will be removing and replacing with that new 10/3 Romex with ground.

The existing hardwired generator cord to be removed has Black, White, and Green. One less conductor than the new 10/3 Romex with ground.

Given the extra conductor of the new 10/3 Romex with Ground, how do you connect the new 4 conductors Red (Inlet X), Black (Inlet Y), White (Inlet W), and ground (Inlet Ground Screw) on the generator manual switch since there’s one more conductor. That’s all that’s left for me.

I’ve included two pics to help you visualize. The downward pic shows the current 3 conductor cord coming into the switch to be removed. The head on view shows where those 3 conductors are currently connected.

Feel free to pose questions. Probably simple, but would appreciate your expertise.

Thank you in advance and happy holidays.
PatDIY

Attachments

• A95CF1E5-FA48-462F-AD14-99EF32C8C524.jpeg
    90 KB · Views: 1
  • 41FE89A5-1E6C-4574-B907-06E4D0039EB9.jpeg
    150.7 KB · Views: 1
Hello, all.

Would appreciate your guidance with a generator manual switch connect.

10/3 Romex with ground will connect a L14-30 generator inlet box to an existing generator manual switch next to my load center. The 10/3 Romex with ground has been run, the L14-30 inlet box mounted, and the circuit terminated in the mounted L14-30 inlet box. I have a question about connecting to the generator manual switch.

There is an existing long male generator cord that had been hardwired to thegenerator manual switch which I will be removing and replacing with that new 10/3 Romex with ground.

The existing hardwired generator cord to be removed has Black, White, and Green. One less conductor than the new 10/3 Romex with ground.

Given the extra conductor of the new 10/3 Romex with Ground, how do you connect the new 4 conductors Red (Inlet X), Black (Inlet Y), White (Inlet W), and ground (Inlet Ground Screw) on the generator manual switch since there’s one more conductor. That’s all that’s left for me.

I’ve included two pics to help you visualize. The downward pic shows the current 3 conductor cord coming into the switch to be removed. The head on view shows where those 3 conductors are currently connected.

Feel free to pose questions. Probably simple, but would appreciate your expertise.

Thank you in advance and happy holidays.
PatDIY
Bump. Any advice would be appreciated.

If I took the TT-30 3-conductor receptacle on a 120V Inverter Generator and transitioned to a L14-30 4-conductor using an adapter, is it ok to then connect to the single contact of manual transfer switch by splicing the bridged hot back together with a pigtail? It would still be 120v total right?

Reply to Connecting 10/3 w/ ground conductors to existing manual generator switch? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net