Discuss CONNECTING EARTH TO DOUBLE INSULATED WALL LIGHT FITTING in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Metalwork of a Class II should not be connected to earth but if the Class II isn't being use a a protection measure then probably not. Is it really Class II or a foreign producer claiming it is, a pic may help.

Metalwork of a Class II should not be connected to earth but if the Class II isn't being use a a protection measure then probably not. Is it really Class II or a foreign producer claiming it is, a pic may help.
This is just a hypothetical question. I cannot see any danger in it.

I don’t really see any advantage in (effectively) creating an extraneous conductive part from something that was a completely safe isolated bit of metal.
But the only danger would probably be in the unlikely circumstances the exposed metalwork became live for other reasons such as ADS failure on a TT or open-pen etc…

I agree, but it would be no more dangerous than a class 1 fitting that was earthed.
But in the event of a fault (as per post #6), an installer who earthed the fitting that was not required to be earthed (in fact they modified it!) could be blamed for a tragedy that followed? (the dreaded "not following manufacturers instructions").
Whereas if the same fault scenario happened with a class 1 fitting, that would not be the case.

All based on the 'self protection' argument that seems to crop up, rather than 'common sense' ?

Reply to CONNECTING EARTH TO DOUBLE INSULATED WALL LIGHT FITTING in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi, plumber here so please be gentle (or take the p-ss ;) ), I am supposed to be installing a UV water steriliser for a customer. I have some...
Replies
Views
Hi, Just interested in learning what others do when faced with an old lighting installation where there is no earth and you’re installing a metal...
Replies
Views
Old two core cable in a lighting circuit with no cpc at any point All points had metal fixtures and fittings class1 At two points the live loop...
Replies
Views
I bought this house a couple months ago. It was built in 1952 (same as me) but has been rewired with yellow 12 awg Romex dated 2007. Looks like a...
Replies
Views
I have had these lights installed by a contractor whose work is normally very good. He has not connected the earth in each fitting as there is a...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock