Discuss Connecting outside socket to internal supply in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi,

I am installing an outside socket but had a question about how I can connect it to the internal supply. I have tried to represent my options/plan in the attached image. Are there issues with either of these approaches?

Additionally, does this work need to be approved/signed off in anyway or can it be done as a DIY job?

Thanks

Connecting outside socket to internal supply 787CE32C-1767-4749-95C1-B63303F73259 - EletriciansForums.net

scrub top pic. that's for wimps.
you don't need a FCU as long as the internal socket is not a spur, and there's only 1 outside socket (single or double). it also only needs to be an RCD socket if the house ring final is not RCD protected in itself. a Minor Works Cert. is desirable, but it's not notifiable work under part pee.

Also what cable are you taking to your socket? Pic says "swa 2.5mm2 t/e" which are two different cables? Needs to be 2.5mm 3core swa scrub the t/e bit

How the frig are you going to terminate that swa cable?

I’m not even sure you need swa

How the frig are you going to terminate that swa cable?

I’m not even sure you need swa
Take the spur cable straight outside fit a IP rated SFS nd take the SWA to the ip rated twin socket, gland into the spur and the twin socket

Sorry Pete
I can’t understand how the swa is going to be terminated in too the plastic outside socket and the switch fused spur, and still have fault protection with the armour ?
And why is a switch fused spur even needed.

And why swa?

Sorry Pete
I can’t understand how the swa is going to be terminated in too the plastic outside socket and the switch fused spur, and still have fault protection with the armour ?
And why is a switch fused spur even needed.

And why swa?
outside socket remote from house, ergo... SWA. what's the problem with terminating i a IP65 socket box?

outside socket remote from house, ergo... SWA. what's the problem with terminating i a IP65 socket box?
None what so ever.

scrub top pic. that's for wimps.
you don't need a FCU as long as the internal socket is not a spur, and there's only 1 outside socket (single or double). it also only needs to be an RCD socket if the house ring final is not RCD protected in itself. a Minor Works Cert. is desirable, but it's not notifiable work under part pee.

Thanks. Although for wimps :) is it viable? Allows me to plug and unplug as needed and not mess with a spur off the socket which is a little way from the wall.

I am actually looking to do this in two different places so may do a different approach in each based on use case.

how remote is remote?

There’s no reason it has to be swa.
Quite right you could use conduit, but SWA is easier to install.

so, if on a plug top, you'd not fix T/E into a plug top, would you. if you did i'd come all the way down to that den of iniquity (london) and spank your arse.

Thanks. Although for wimps :) is it viable? Allows me to plug and unplug as needed and not mess with a spur off the socket which is a little way from the wall.

I am actually looking to do this in two different places so may do a different approach in each based on use case.
You are not an Electrician the I take it, do you have the experience to do this work, even more important do you have the necessary test equipment, needed to test the installation after you have done it?

You are not an Electrician the I take it, do you have the experience to do this work, even more important do you have the necessary test equipment, needed to test the installation after you have done it? Personally I would advise you to get an Electrician to do the work, test and inspect and issue a certificate, on completion.

I know of no reason why pvc,pvc can’t be clipped direct outside. Why does it need to be in conduit?

I know of no reason why pvc,pvc can’t be clipped direct outside. Why does it need to be in conduit?

Twin & earth may degrade when exposed to ultra violet rays and become brittle. As it is also very easily damaged, mechanical protection by conduit may well be required.

SWA offers a ready-made solution to these potential pitfalls. If no mechanical protection is required then use Hi-Tuff.

Reply to Connecting outside socket to internal supply in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock