Discuss Consumer Unused Spare ways in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

We all have our different way of doing things,aslong as we do them within the regs and a safe manner alls good at the end of the day.

Regarding any consumer unit, aslong as there's no gaps (filled in with MCB or Blanks (preferably modular blanks IMO)) and labelled correctly and clearly then everything should be fine and dandy.

Didn't say I do that, I just put blank's in, I don't but consumer units that come with X amount of breakers, I buy them as I need. By some of the peoples here's logic Blank plates are pretty much pointless because you can just put a socket on and because its not doing any harm its ok, just pointless and makes no sense

Some years ago I fitted a 40amp mcb as a blank,returned to the job some time later to find the stairlift installer had moved the immersion heater circuit to the 40amp and used the 16amp for his lift! Since then I never fit mcb's as blanks.

some years ago, i knew a guy who fitted spares then the house blew up, i also knew a guy, who fitted blanks and guess what, the house blew up. i also knew a guy who fitted laminated wall charts and guess what, no the house was fine & scam assor was happy.

my point is each to their own

I ALWAYS remove and only for one reason... To stop silly DIYers taking a new circuit into a spare breaker.

Here's an example.

My consumer unit cupboard is rather dark... I know, I'll wire a light in there. That working on a fuseboard looks really easy after watching that spark. It's only a few wires it'll be fine.

Yep, until those few pieces of a 1.5mm scrap cable, ancient light and switch found in the garage end up in a 32A breaker.... One day... BOOM!!!!, neee naaaaa neeeee naaaaaa. Oh hello fireman Sam, not sure what that electrician did when he was here but my fuse board is on fire now, Plleeeeeeeeaaaaase Help????

As I have mentioned here, I don't fit the spare MCB's. Just because "I" don't doesn't mean that I am right and others who do are wrong. It's just the way I work. Also, I do not leave the spare breakers. I keep them on the van for when customers require additional circuits to which I will supply them FOC if I have fitted the board.

I price my Consumer Unit replacements at a standard rate. The price does not alter whether I use 3 breakers or 10 breakers in the CU I provide.

It's nice to see members reasons as to why they do and why they don't but I will still continue as I do... Because "I" am my own boss, and "I" am the one signing my name on the certificate :thumbsup

Someone could well throw a 1.5mm t&e cable in with my 50A breaker for the cooker at the CU but then again the same could be done for an extractor hood from the cooker Isolator lol Far less cable required from this point lol

Damned if you do, damned if you don't ;)

Taking things to the extreme.
A contractor installed a new board for us at work. Knowing what this guy was like I went and had a nose around what he’d done. To my surprise there was nothing wrong with the new board or the 25mm 4C SWA feeding it.
The switch room was a different matter, I hunted high and low on the auxiliary switchboard for the feed. First thoughts he’s not labelled it, then I noticed a new label on another board. He’d only fed a 25mm off an 800A fuse switch!
He got a very cordial invitation to an arse kicking party.

Taking things to the extreme.
A contractor installed a new board for us at work. Knowing what this guy was like I went and had a nose around what he’d done. To my surprise there was nothing wrong with the new board or the 25mm 4C SWA feeding it.
The switch room was a different matter, I hunted high and low on the auxiliary switchboard for the feed. First thoughts he’s not labelled it, then I noticed a new label on another board. He’d only fed a 25mm off an 800A fuse switch!

He got a very cordial invitation to an arse kicking party.

maybe he was feeding heaters, and didnt require overload protection, only short circuit! lol

( for the even more pedantic than me, i have not carried out an adiabatic check, to see if the 25mm could handle the fault current that would occur before the 800A fuses operated)

I know a couple of very experienced sparks that have had a warning from the scam assessors about this it's a minor they still got their ticket but hey ho
J

beat this 1

no calibration certs for testers
wrong readings on sheet to what was on meter 0.22ohms on sheet 13.2 on meter!!!!! communal close supply (scam provider guy standing with meter in hand)
but still got approved for this provider (the big 1)
so yes they are a scam and only after your cash

beat this 1

wrong readings on sheet to what was on meter 0.22ohms on sheet 13.2 on meter!!!!! communal close supply (scam provider guy standing with meter in hand)

So when did you realise that the scams are not here to raise standards but subscription you should look at them the same way as the big PAT testing companies just put stickers on anything that moves where they badge anything that pays. I have said it before it will take a death for these clowns to start doing their job

beat this 1

My Elecsa assessor wouldn't let this past him.

Reply to Consumer Unused Spare ways in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net