Discuss copper pipe instead of trunking? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
i am installing fp cable for a fire alarm system grade a ld1 under house floor but it is inaccessible because floor board is lifted only every few metres. i need to use trunking to secure the cable that can be cut into short sections and then assembled into a long piece when under the floor. can i use 22mm copper pipe and join the sections with compression nuts. will this be ok with bs7671? should i cover the pipe with red insulating tape to distinguish it from plumbing? what other options are there?

If it has to be plastic..which i'm sure the lads will comfirm or not...why not use plastic pipe and push fit joints rather than copper...?

If it has to be plastic..which i'm sure the lads will comfirm or not...why not use plastic pipe and push fit joints rather than copper...?
i think the reason for the pipe is that as a fire alarm circuit this need fitting to fabric of building with fire resistant fixings
but instead of copper why not use be conduit with pvc adaptor as a push fit and sadle where needed

cheers beaver...i see what you mean now....you can tell i ain't no sparky....lol lol...you can get copper push fits as well...

The only way i think that you will be able to do this is mark the pipe with the correct colour as per 7671.

You may in the future get a plumber come in to hack a pipe out, only to realise it was the wrong one!!

i am installing fp cable for a fire alarm system grade a ld1 under house floor but it is inaccessible because floor board is lifted only every few metres. i need to use trunking to secure the cable that can be cut into short sections and then assembled into a long piece when under the floor. can i use 22mm copper pipe and join the sections with compression nuts. will this be ok with bs7671? should i cover the pipe with red insulating tape to distinguish it from plumbing? what other options are there?

You could use a catenary wire,cable tie to it before you install it.This could be like a 2 or 3mm wire rore,appropriately tensioned at the ends.If you can't use nylon cable ties,you can use stainless steel ones.I have used this system before but it was above a suspended ceiling where there was nothing to fix to..but I don't see why you couldn't use it under a floor. But I don't think the plumbing pipe is a good idea. "gripple" was the brand name of steel wire fixing system.

Reply to copper pipe instead of trunking? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock