Discuss Core drill or SDS for a large hole in the wall? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Now I just need to decide on an SDS drill.. Only a few hundred to choose from!!

Looks like Hitachi are popular.

Is a 2kg one going to be up to the job of the very occassional 4" hole through brick (with breaks)? Or would a 4-6kg needed?

There are 3 choices for the 2kg Hitachi DC24PX/J1 Hitachi DH24PX/J1 2kg SDS Plus Hammer Drill 230V | 3 Function SDS | NoLinkingToThis, DC26PX/J1 Hitachi DH26PX/J1 2kg SDS Plus Hammer Drill 230V | SDS Plus 3 Function | NoLinkingToThis, DC28PX/J1 Hitachi DH28PX/J1 2kg SDS Plus Hammer Drill 230V | SDS Plus 3 Function | NoLinkingToThis
Anyone used any of these and can recommend one or if the more powerful is needed?

When I can out if my apprenticeship the company supplied me with a hitachi SDS, it took 4 months for all the magic smoke to leak out. It got replaced on warranty, the replacement stopped going round about 4 months later. Then another warranty replacement which lasted another 4 months or so.

Then came the little hilti SDS! It lasted a year or so and was starting to die when I left the company.

Spit would be my SDS of choice if I had need of a mains powered one.

Or your Jaw, know of a navvy that was drilling with a core a really narrow alley, face (!) height - the drill jammed and the main body went round and round smacking him in the face repeatedly.

apparently he held his bloodied, broken jaw and tried to say "does it look bad?" And then carried on one handed, the other hand holding his jaw.

Now that's what I call a REAL MAN and worthy of being made an Honourary Geordie.

Def need a core drill

I do a lot of holes around 5 a week lucky aren't i

at first I used sds but It wasn't upto it I borrowed a builders core drill and made he'll of a difference it just breezes through anything

if you can't afford 1 or don't do a lot of them just hire one id get a decent cutter to as that also makes a difference

Core drilling , 100mm, knackeredmy 2 bosch 2kg sds drills both now without the spline that the sds bits slots into.get a special core drill with a fixed chuck

I have 2 sds 2kg bosch drills that are in perfe t order except they wont hold bits, and so have to use 24v dewalt which hasnt the power of the 240v boschs

Forgot to mention I shelled out for a brand new hitatachi 240v sds,

But the bosch 2kg were my babies one which i had from my apprentice days 680w and the oyther 720w for my mate

If any one knows were I can get the chuck mechanism fixed near aston in birmingham , the help would be appreciated

Core drill if you can afford it, got to be better as it's designed specifically for the job surely? If you get a cavity with any insulation in it, pull the insulation out once you've cut the 1st brick/block as it will jam up something rotten...and make sure you take it off hammer, it's cutting not blasting!

Core drill if you can afford it, got to be better as it's designed specifically for the job surely? If you get a cavity with any insulation in it, pull the insulation out once you've cut the 1st brick/block as it will jam up something rotten...and make sure you take it off hammer, it's cutting not blasting!

Aye, a sure fire way to wreck a diamond core bit is to use it on Hammer Action.

The Tungsten Carbide jobs are different - those ones you DO use Hammer Action.

I've never core drilled with hammer on, I'm not as daft as I look. All you really have to do is take your time with them. Try to blast your way through and you're going to cowp ya creels, if you're lucky it'll be the drill that takes the damage. If you're unlucky.........

I've never core drilled with hammer on, I'm not as daft as I look. All you really have to do is take your time with them. Try to blast your way through and you're going to cowp ya creels, if you're lucky it'll be the drill that takes the damage. If you're unlucky.........

Absolutely right my learned Friend. ;)

Reply to Core drill or SDS for a large hole in the wall? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net