Discuss Correct Gauge Wire For Parallel Dual Battery in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
First Install with a Parallel circuit or this distance.

Connecting 2x 12V 90ah AGM batteries in parallel and the cable length with roughly be 2 meters in length. Putting the batteries any closer is not an option due to space restrictions. 20-30amps is roughly what will be drawn at one given time in the circuit for the time being.

What size cable/amp is best suited?

Much appreciated

Have you tried an online cable sizing calculator ? There are many of them out there... such as this one:

But... remember that with DC, you want the total length of +ve & -ve added together... and... if I were you... treat the result given from the calculator as an absolute minimum... go as big as you can afford/install/manage etc. Also, make sure that you have proper crimped terminal lugs at the end of each cable.

I would be working with 25mm trirated or welding cable as a minimum.
It will help avoid volt drop.
But more importantly, 2 batteries of that size in parallel will provide several hundred amps if there was ever a short circuit.

Other than the maximum load current to be drawn, the most important criterion for battery cable size is usually what kind of charger is being connected and where, because voltage drop during charging is extremely detrimental to charging performance and could result in one battery receiving less charge than the other. As above, with batteries of that size, although the length is short there's no excuse for using less than say 25mm² / #3 AWG copper. This will ensure that at any charge rate the batteries can handle the voltage drop will not be an issue. It will also probably survive a momentary short-circuit, but fusing at the posts e.g. with the cube fuses mentioned is a very good way to protect against burnout. Additional fusing might be needed to protect the wiring downstream.

remember that with DC, you want the total length of +ve & -ve added together.

Perhaps I've missed the point but I am not sure how that differs from AC other than the names of the conductors.

Reply to Correct Gauge Wire For Parallel Dual Battery in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net