Discuss CU Max Height According to Building Regs in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

off top of my head;1.this isnt domestic so heights dont count
2 .could someone say above a door where people are going through is not reasonable access for maintenance /inspection?

yeah but they are kind of more sensitive to disability .but if its your only option ....

"new circuits and new extensions do NOT need to conform

The approved documents to both Part M and Part P expressly say that; it is quite acceptable to mount them at a height inkeeping with the existing property"

Desperately trying to find this quote where exactly can i find it in the appeoved documents?
Any help would be much appreciated,

"new circuits and new extensions do NOT need to conform

The approved documents to both Part M and Part P expressly say that; it is quite acceptable to mount them at a height inkeeping with the existing property"

Desperately trying to find this quote where exactly can i find it in the appeoved documents?
Any help would be much appreciated,

will have a look tommorrow matey, aint got it in front of me

when i had my nic assesment the assesor asked a few questions on this, i replied by saying all the standard height things should be at etc. he pointed out that if the customer states that they dont want consumers at certain heights as well as switches and sockets etc, that you dont have to fit them at this height. he said so long as you make a note on the certificate that the customer is aware then its ok!!

whether he's full of poo poo i dont know i must admit i was suprised to hear it, he was talking new builds as well?!

Ive also heard this Sparkyork, in fact im doing rewires now for connect housing in leeds and we are putting everything back to the same heights as before as this is what the customer wants.

If you look in the osg it says that a way of satisfying building regs is to mount sockets etc at the heights they show. Your installations cert is done against wiring regs not building regs so noting the customer requirement on the cert covers you for wiring regs but I think the building inspector might pull it on building regs requirements in a new build. Another classic example of the right hand not knowing where the left hand is, let alone what it's doing!!!!

yeah it didnt really wash with me either but he did seem quite certain that if the customer wants to not comply with building regs on socket heights then it ok (but not really!)

Another bit of useless information which shows how things are written without proper thought being given to them.

When the building regs were first written about switching heights they included the mounting of cu and stated that the cu would require to be fitted with a suitable lock to prevent unauthorised access (children primarily). It was then pointed out that this could create problems in the case of lighting circuits tripping at night and so the lock requirement was not included leaving another total "cock up" for us to cope with.

Reply to CU Max Height According to Building Regs in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock