Discuss Dado trunking opinions? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Surprised at the flack aimed at centaur maxi trunking. We use it exclusively in schools where practicality and cost are more important than aesthetics.Never had any issues with it as long as it's installed properly. Centaur mini trunking is also streets ahead of marshall tuflex. MT trunking is impossible to make a neat job of mitering or double setting. I can form just about any set in centaur trunking so that it looks 'manufactured'. I recall rewiring a primary school with minitrunking drops years back and it was necessary to double set over a lip on the wall.....architect couldnt believe the sets were not preformed.Would have looked crap with MT trunking.

Surprised at the flack aimed at centaur maxi trunking. We use it exclusively in schools where practicality and cost are more important than aesthetics.Never had any issues with it as long as it's installed properly. Centaur mini trunking is also streets ahead of marshall tuflex. MT trunking is impossible to make a neat job of mitering or double setting. I can form just about any set in centaur trunking so that it looks 'manufactured'. I recall rewiring a primary school with minitrunking drops years back and it was necessary to double set over a lip on the wall.....architect couldnt believe the sets were not preformed.Would have looked crap with MT trunking.
Eh? all mini trunking is the same size, mt2 or yt2, or mt1 or yt1 or whatever, there are 3 or 4 sizes all manufacturers make which are the same size as other manufacturers, why does the MT differ from CEF ****e?

Eh? all mini trunking is the same size, mt2 or yt2, or mt1 or yt1 or whatever, there are 3 or 4 sizes all manufacturers make which are the same size as other manufacturers, why does the MT differ from CEF ****e?

On Marshall tuflex the lid lip is about 1/3 the way down the trunking,which makes it impossible to form neat mitres.I've seen some of the crap installs by contractors with other makes where a situation isnt met by preformed angles,usually involving a lot of filler.On CEF minitrunk the lid is flat,and clips directly onto the top of the trunking,and it can be formed easily into really neat mitres and double sets. I have used various makes of minitrunking and centaur is by far the best.

As far as their Dado trunking goes we use 100x50 maxitrunking for practicality and economy.Not on a prestige job I would agree,but for an economical dado trunking in an office or classroom it is perfectly good.

If I get time tomorrow I'll knock up a double set with centaur mt2....and marshall tuflex mt2 and post up pics.

Last edited by a moderator:

Clearly if you think centaur and MT minitrunking are identcal then you havent used centaur. I find it hard to take someone seriously who condemns something as sh-eye-t without ever having used it.

Clearly if you think centaur and MT minitrunking are identcal then you havent used centaur. I find it hard to take someone seriously who condemns something as sh-eye-t without ever having used it.

I have used Centaur trunking and would say you get what you pay for only used it once and never again was not impressed by the quality and a few years after installation it was quite discoloured

From a buyers point of view ...you need to consider price, quality, ease of installation, availability.....Get your local Wholesalers involved if you've got quantity to order, they'll sit up and take notice ......get 2 or 3 involved.......maybe an independant and a couple of nationals....and let them know you've gone out for prices...see if you can get a project price for branded stuff such as Ega & M/Tufflex ....make sure you price the accessories as well as the Trunking (you may find the price of Trunking to be reasonable....only to find the price for corners / inserts etc.... to be extortionate)...maybe offer to do a deal whereby your supplier gets it in and then invoice you, as and when you call it off (that way they are guaranteed the sale for the whole project).......don't discount Own Brand stuff such as Newlec or Sector ......they are both manufactured by MK / EGA .....Just older versions of Prestige.........another tip if you use Ega Premier Trunking...NCT 1050 etc .... Newlec and Sector own brand inserts are identicle to VTS6025's & VTS7025's and you should get them for half the price.

In this cold weather , you have to be careful with the PVC trunking of all sorts , Dado or skirting trunking corner pieces are most prone to damage on the small rear fixings , pays to keep them somewhere warm if you can before you use them ..

installed a load of starline chamfered trunking pretty reasonable price from tlc easy to install and looks pretty decent . would always use pre fabricated bends and a chop-saw when doing dado.

I have used it hundreds of times, the lid falls off if you hold the length up vertically, yet is almost impossible to remove when flat on the wall, cheap rubbish.

I have used it hundreds of times, the lid falls off if you hold the length up vertically, yet is almost impossible to remove when flat on the wall, cheap rubbish.

Cant believe that statement. If you dont like it fair enough,but the centaur I use has completely secure lid wherever it's put. I'd totally agree that most CEF gear is junk.....but NOT their minitrunking.

Cant believe that statement. If you dont like it fair enough,but the centaur I use has completely secure lid wherever it's put. I'd totally agree that most CEF gear is junk.....but NOT their minitrunking.
Well thats my opinion, if you don't like it there is nothing I can do to cheer you up, I won't retract my comment regarding it, IMO it is cheap rubbish, just like their dado trunking.

fair comment, if you like it then thats good, I respect your opinion.

Reply to Dado trunking opinions? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net