Discuss Difference in scrap price between pvc insulated twin & stripped cable. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

There was a good thread about this a few days ago. Have a search and it will give you some good info.

I strip everything and once I have a bin liner full of stripped copper wire I take it to the new scrap merchants near me

Bright copper is around £4.50 - £5 per Kg, PVC covered cable is around £1.50ish. So big stuff is worth the stripping!

There's also an eco element to this, too. Copper is an ultimately limited natural resource that we have to dig devasting mines to extract, so make sure you do recycle it, however it is, waste as little of it as possible to start with, and design that lighting circuit in 1mm not 1.5........

There's also an eco element to this, too. Copper is an ultimately limited natural resource that we have to dig devasting mines to extract, so make sure you do recycle it, however it is, waste as little of it as possible to start with, and design that lighting circuit in 1mm not 1.5........
when I started we always wired lighting in 1mm and for some reason everyone got obsessed with wiring lights in 1,5

i have recently reverted back to 1mm lighting as 1.5 is blooming expensive

I think it comes down to how much time you have. Scrap value vs hourly rate then probably 4/6mm+ strip it.

I personally think we need to recycle a little better though, I'd imagine the stuff that doesn't get stripped won't make it back in to cables and will eventually push the price up. You can argue that little bit won't make a difference but even with half the guys stripping a little more it'll certainly add up. Plus you have the enviromental inpact, it'll take a lot of enrgy to process unstripped cable.

again, it's all about time/money/enviromental concerns

I was once advised to keep things like high end speaker cables Cat6, coax (copper screened) separate from t&e/swa as the copper in them is purer. I doubt the guys at the scrap yard would know the difference though!

I was once advised to keep things like high end speaker cables Cat6, coax (copper screened) separate from t&e/swa as the copper in them is purer. I doubt the guys at the scrap yard would know the difference though!
can just imagine stripping cat6 cores down to the copper. wasn't it a shakespeare title... loves labour lost?

" ONce more into the Beach , my friends" a novel by Buster Bikini.

Now that brings back memories of school boy jokes: "Over the Cliff by Hugo First", "The Ruptured Cossack by Ikick Abollokoff" think we ought to leave it there.

Reply to Difference in scrap price between pvc insulated twin & stripped cable. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net