Discuss Dimmer switch blown. Do I buy a new one? in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Loopylew

DIY
Reaction score
Went to turn on my dimmer switch today and heard it blow and saw a little spark. Now it won't work. Light just underneath it and all others work fine. Do I need a new dimmer switch? Here are a couple of images which might help. The switch is for my bathroom which has 3 bulbs (Photo attached). Also, any idea what these bulbs are?! Cheers

20200625_165004.jpg
20200625_165013.jpg
20200625_172256.jpg
20200625_172309.jpg

With out the test gear you need to test it out or you could get a dimmable modul and see if it works. and by the way looking at that class1 switch was it earthed and any in a backbox.

those lamps/bulbs are GU10s. you can get direct replacement LEDs, but you'll need a dimmer that is compatible with the LEDs.

Thanks for replying. Not quite sure what you mean, but here is what it looks like behind the switch. Dodgy?
[automerge]1593105397[/automerge]
Save yourself future problems; put in a standard 1way switch and use smart bulbs either control by app or if you've got Alexa them use voice control

I'm not that bothered about it dimming tbh. It was there when I moved in. Looking at the photos is it easier just to replace the dimmer with a normal switch then? Thanks

Attachments

• 20200625_180432.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 19
  • 20200625_180501.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 19

Reply to Dimmer switch blown. Do I buy a new one? in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

our dimmer switch stopped working after 7 years so went to replace it at the weekend. When I opened it up, the black wire was in the common slot...
Replies
Views
My kitchen has track lighting. It consists of three halogen light bulbs. I've had the fixture for more than 25 years with no issues. Last night...
Replies
Views
I have carried out home wiring for 60 years as a competent person, for the last 20 years, I employ a local electrician to check my work and sign...
Replies
Views
I really need help with this puzzler. First - I am moderately 'skilled' in day-to-day basic wiring. My puzzle: I am trying to replace a...
Replies
Views
Evening all.... My son is 14, he seems to be taking ultra long baths and showers and the bath/shower room is drenched afterwards. I have just...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock