Discuss Dimmer switch single pole, no lights in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Gta_g20

DIY
Reaction score
Hi guys. Sorry for the sad post but I thought this was a simple plug and play...

So I have two light switches in my basement living room controlling one light fixture each independently. They are pot lights and too bright so I decided to buy replacement dimmers for both.
Again each switch is the only switch to control that single respective light.

Both original switches are single pole Leviton basic switches. I removed one switch it has 3 wires. All wires are black.

Wire a/ connects at the top screw.

Wire b/ connects at the bottom screw

Wire c/ connects at the bottom and quick connects into the back of the switch

There are several white wires in the box connected by a marette wire cap.
The issue I am having is my new dimmer switch has a green wire which I assume connects to wire A. Then two black wires which I connected one to wire B and the other to wire C.
When wired in this configuration. All electrical outlets/ sockets have no power when dimmer switch is off. When dimmer is turned on the sockets receive power, but the pot light fixture has no power.
If I connect wire B and C together the outlets/ sockets begin to work but the light fixture is still off.
I’m beyond puzzled it’s probably simple but I can’t wrap my head around it

Attachments

• Dimmer switch single pole, no lights D35F131B-E845-4291-8CC3-6B47ECCD5FEB - EletriciansForums.net
    D35F131B-E845-4291-8CC3-6B47ECCD5FEB.jpeg
    182.2 KB · Views: 17
  • Dimmer switch single pole, no lights A813A502-4286-4DAC-A7EE-A38892A2C255 - EletriciansForums.net
    A813A502-4286-4DAC-A7EE-A38892A2C255.jpeg
    114.8 KB · Views: 17
first step, put the switches back EXACTLY as they were originally and check everything works ok.

then post some pictures

Back to original configuration and light is functional
[automerge]1578958170[/automerge]
This is what I’m installing

Attachments

• Dimmer switch single pole, no lights AC18D55B-AA79-44B1-BAFE-CBBD0ADC5D99 - EletriciansForums.net
    AC18D55B-AA79-44B1-BAFE-CBBD0ADC5D99.jpeg
    95.5 KB · Views: 16
  • Dimmer switch single pole, no lights E6BF1623-2D2A-42EA-91B5-17F8C4C365D2 - EletriciansForums.net
    E6BF1623-2D2A-42EA-91B5-17F8C4C365D2.jpeg
    182.2 KB · Views: 14
  • Dimmer switch single pole, no lights image - EletriciansForums.net
    image.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 12
    image.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 11
    image.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
The two blacks B & C at the bottom of the original switch were connected together by the switch terminal. They are the incoming hot feed and the outgoing hot to the next point. These would now need to be connected together in a wirenut, along with one of the blacks from the dimmer. The black wire A from the top of the original switch is the switched hot to this light, which would connect to the other black from the dimmer in a second wirenut.

If the 3rd wire from the dimmer is actually green it is likely the ground for its metal bracket. Check this in the instruction book. It would connect to the ground terminal in the box. Connecting it to the hots, as in one of your pics, could have given you a nasty shock!

The dimmer has a ground wire because it can produce an amount of ground leakage due to its circuitry. This does not apply to the switch therefore the bracket is grounded to the box only via the fixing screws.

Reply to Dimmer switch single pole, no lights in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock