Discuss dist board change in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

H

heathelect

Got to change a 3 phase, 24 way dist board that feeds a few small offices and a small distribution area, the existing old board (dorman smith) has no rcbos fitted to socket circuits just old type mcbs. Question is under the 17th do in need to fit rcbos to rings feeding office sockets (computers plugged in) + other small office equipment ? or can it be classed as a dedicated circuit used by "competent persons" and therefore be protected by an mcb ? wiring to these rings is in ceiling voids and 100mm studding, nothing buried in plaster or less than 50mm from the surface. your thoughts would be appreciated, thanks dave.

Bit of a can of worms here but I would say that you could wire with MCB's with no rcd prot due to it being commercial and supervised by competent persons etc

defo rcbo mate, you cant call office staff competent people, the risk is still there.

Will be an expensive job.

i think youre right just wanted to reduce cost by fitting mcbs instead of rcbos.

By the way theyve been quoted 2K + vat to replace board by the company who did a periodic, do you think if i charge 1.8k it would be too cheap ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Just done one the same (almost).

Pulled out old 36 way BILL deathtrap and fitted new PROTEUS board.

Now, I dont like proteus as a rule, but it was the cheapest way I could do it. Stuff like MERLIN GERIN was just too expensive.

None of the circuits were marked up, so put everything that was a ring or radial on RCBO's just in case. (apart from lights)

I quoted £1200.00+ VAT

Some may say its too cheap, but I have got the remedial works and testing to do so all in all I thought it was ok.

Reply to dist board change in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock