Discuss DIY Forum for DIY Electricians? - Doing It Yourself? Electrical Advice This Way in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Is this to me?

My stance hasn't changed.

I want the most members on the most forums. Have done since my first forum in 2001.

But they only work if they do what they say they do and don't have some agenda. Like run a training center or are linked to a tool supplier. Like all my competitors.
Yes it was

I understand that you don't want disruptive members, it makes sense.

But I was merely stating that not every new member is a good thing either.

There is some higher calibre than others.

Would you rather have a electrical engineer from Brazil or Pamela from Stoke who has a can do attitude and is going to rewire her house herself. Most people know it's going to end in tears. Sometimes you need to say that they aren't capable of the work.

When I was a little schoolboy ( a real one, long time ago...not a dressed up one, at weekends) my bus fare was a "tupp'ny half".
With inflation, it became a "thrupp'ny half" etc etc
I just mention this in passing, since my use of "tuppence" caused such joy:)
Not meaning to derail this thread, just saying...

When I was a little schoolboy ( a real one, long time ago...not a dressed up one, at weekends) my bus fare was a "tupp'ny half".
With inflation, it became a "thrupp'ny half" etc etc
I just mention this in passing, since my use of "tuppence" caused such joy:)
Not meaning to derail this thread, just saying...
tuppence??? thought you used pieces of eight.

Yes, Tel...four tuppences to an eight-piece..or eight-pence piece!
TRhe pre-decimal currency was so much better, imho...
remember the thrupp'ny bits???

(Don't...just don't!)

thruppenny bits? i remember farthings, had a wren on the reverse. and half-crowns at birthdays.

Reactions: Dan
Yes it was

I understand that you don't want disruptive members, it makes sense.

But I was merely stating that not every new member is a good thing either.

There is some higher calibre than others.

Would you rather have a electrical engineer from Brazil or Pamela from Stoke who has a can do attitude and is going to rewire her house herself. Most people know it's going to end in tears. Sometimes you need to say that they aren't capable of the work.
Both would be allowed.

The system awards people now. Not staff. Trying to step away from humans dealing with things. That's when it goes wrong and ends up biased.

Collective human input it good. So all member types posting ends up sorting its self out as long as everybody sticks to the rules.

To be fair I've forgot the previous posts in this thread I've been so sidetracked.

Hope that explains whatever your aim was there lol

Edit: I reread your post. The DIY person would go in the DIY forum on here and hopefully get told / realise it's too much and use our directory to find a local sparky.

On a DIY forum, we'd direct her to here to find a sparky.

I'm not sure a dedicated DIY forum would have so much electrical advice floating around to be fair. And also no Gas Advice, but lots of plumbing (water) advice.

DIYers tend to be DIYers. They will have a bash of anything.

I think if (don't think we're going ahead with it now) we ever had a DIY forum - The aim would be to find the jobs bigger than them, and send the work to the guys on our forums. Whether they took it up, not sure.

Apologies. I didn't read your reply properly.

Last edited:
Oh yes, the farthings with the wee bird...oh, and florins too...made infamous by the expression "two-bob coachline"...
or was that just a Scottish thing?

i well remember, at secondary school, we has a shilling per day for dinner money. friday was fish (as there was 1 catholic boy in a class of 36). me and my mate spent the friday shilling on 5 Park Drive apiece. our parents always wondered why we were ravenous at tea time.

I'm guessing you smoked them, not ate them?
Imagine being able to buy a pack of 5 cigs, as a minor, these days? Crikey, the corner shop would sell "singles" to us as kids, no questions asked...
Park Drive though...that's posh!

we have progress now. min. quantity is 20 smokes, so young kevin will need to nick a tenner from his mam's purse instead of a fiver.

we have progress now. min. quantity is 20 smokes, so young kevin will need to nick a tenner from his mam's purse instead of a fiver.
How much is 20 Cigs these days, on average?

How much is 20 Cigs these days, on average?
ÂŁ8 - ÂŁ9. bloody disgrace. 80+% of that is tax.

Eyup - Who started the oldies off again?! lol :cool::eek:o_O;)
As Tel would say" Age is just a number" and you are only as old as you feel, right now after a great big fry up, I'm feeling quite frail

bran flakes?? YUK. like eating the wood butcher's shavings. here, breakfast in the week is coffee and a smoke or 3. weekends - bacon, eggs, sausage, mushrooms, hash browns,tomatoes, beans, fried bread, toast (real butter, not fake margerine), couple of brownies or choc chip cookies. after a good week, 1/2 bottle JD just to marinate that lot.

once dead, i'm donating my body to the british heart foundation. keep them baffled for years.

Last edited:
here you go dan. 1 min. in the microwave:
DIY Forum for DIY Electricians? - Doing It Yourself? Electrical Advice This Way 1567071636105 - EletriciansForums.net

Reply to DIY Forum for DIY Electricians? - Doing It Yourself? Electrical Advice This Way in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock