Discuss Do 3 phase boards usually have RCD protection in commercial settings? in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Just sat contemplating life and realised i don't think i've ever seen any RCD protection on the boards we maintain/install at work.

I've seen 300mA protection on some section boards but don't recall ever clocking a 30mA in a 3 phase board.

Am i just not looking properly?

Hi,could be you need to see more boards ?

It could be the nature of your installations,might be downstream of your boards....

If you have time for contemplation,figure a way of a 10kW shower,a 5kW heat pump,and a 6kW car charger being powered by using the weather?

Hi,could be you need to see more boards ?

It could be the nature of your installations,might be downstream of your boards....

If you have time for contemplation,figure a way of a 10kW shower,a 5kW heat pump,and a 6kW car charger being powered by using the weather?
I see 300mA all the time but can't ever remember seeing a 30mA.

What do the regs say about when you need 30mA rcd protection?

Doesn’t matter if it’s domestic or commercial.
Well, it can do.
some circumstances in non domestic installations will allow sockets to be provided without rcd protection subject to a risk assessment being carried out.

p.s. This is not meant to be a blanket approach where a building is deemed as not requiring rcd protection. It should be done on a per point of use basis.

No, they don't, it's usually because the installation methods used in industrial settings don't require it.

For example, it is often conduit, tray (or other surface mount), swa etc. None of which require rcd protection.

In addition many fixed loads don't require it either; but some do, so it is more common to use mcb throughout, and only fit rcd (rcbo) where required rather than blanketly on the whole board.

This is more likely to be on sockets for outside use, or evcp as most internal socket outlets are either dedicated for machines, or where for general use, have a risk assessment in place.

Offices even within an industrial sector are usually provided with a sub board which would likely be single phase and require rcd as a risk assessment for no rcd is unlikely to fly, as office people are regarded as untrained from an electrical standpoint.

This may be one of the times though when a three phase board will have rcd fitted, if the office area is large enough to warrant a three phase board.

Reply to Do 3 phase boards usually have RCD protection in commercial settings? in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net