Discuss Do these sound like fair rates to charge? in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

J

jibspark

Im just working out what rates to charge people per hour.

do these sound fair?

7am - 8pm : £30 for the first half hour, £25 per hour there after

8pm - 7am : £50 for the first half hour, £35 per hour there after

im sure there will be times when i vary or just price for the job itself but i just want to get a base for the time being.

That's an interesting list of proposed charges. I don't know what the going rate is in your area. In this area there would be a standard hourly rate, during the day (averaging about £28 -£30 per hour). They generally state that a minimum of one hour will be charged.
Out of hours several will charge a call out fee, which includes the first hour, and then a rate based on time and a third (approx £40) after that.
Also normal hours will start at 8am.
If you are going to make it known generally that you offer an out of hours service remember to take public holidays and weekends into seperate account or you might find yourself being called out on New Year's Day for standard rates!!

hiya jibspark
just like to say if i charged those prices, i dont think i would get any work here in stoke £20/hr max, if youre lucky, maybe others charge more, or perhaps im too cheap ?. regards dave

I wouldn't get any work if i advertised at them prices , i earn similar £££ but only through pricing jobs in full , people seem to want a price (job done)rather that a p/h rate..

Ste

Looks ok to me as it is similar to what I charge and I get work. You won't get the work in Stoke as the potteries is a **** hole and everyone is out of work even in prosperous times! (I lived in Crewe for years sadly).

i do all my jobs on a price but allways leave some room for manouvre just in case problems crop up,dont advertise for call outs but do the odd one if asked and charge £50 for the first hour and £25 for every hour after:D

i normally charge a price per job and it normally works out at £35- £40 per hr, my customers seem to prefer a price for the job rather than an hourly rate. I dont charge a call out fee during the hrs of 7am-8pm out of those hours i will charge £55, If you dont charge a call out fee charge a set minimum for the first half hr

Cheers for all the responses guys! So it looks like I'm about right for this area but I think I will try and price per job as you all advise, I might be doing some work for a company that sometimes need a spark to a few odds and sods for them so that's the only time I will really be using the hourly rate charges I think.

THANKS CIRRUS, STOKE ISNT AS BAD AS YOU SAY, ALTHOUGH WE DO HAVE PROBLEMS JUST LIKE ANY CITY, IM WORKING IN CREWE AT THE MOMENT, NOW THAT IS A _ _ _ _ HOLE,
REGARDS DAVE:mad:

As a southerner living in Stoke got to say the city not as bad as people think. Also wont meet a friendlier bunch anywhere in the country. My wages have gone up 40% in the 3 years been here so think there is still money about. Glad to see the Stoke-Crewe rivalry still alive!

Sorry off topic.

Cirrus, yep you right n.w. Is looking bleak at the moment but seems the building trade is suffering all over, i just keep doing the domestic work, people having extentions, loft conversions etc, so im pretty busy at the moment, although ive just started 12 flats in crewe, for a local large electrical contractor on a fixed price and they pay my invoce into my bank account every week, so thats regular money coming in for a few months. Anyway ill go now at the risk of being boring,
regards
dave

Pride of england,
couldnt agree more we are very nice hospitable people.

(keep eating the oatcakes)

Last edited by a moderator:
I am just jealous cos worked the doors in Crewe for years and messed up a few naughty forties and Crewe Alex fans alike on a weekend. Think my life expectancy is less than that of Bin Laden in minutes!

If we all ganged up as "A Collective" (like the Unions in the 1970's) we could set an hourly rate for electricans across the country. Are we better than plumbers? If so lets charge more - how about £85/hour as starters?

Reply to Do these sound like fair rates to charge? in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock