Currently reading:
Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views!

Discuss Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Darkwood

Staff member
Mod
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
Right ... Just been nudged to set this up by Paul.M and sounds a good idea following recent threads I've done in the Arms..

Rules....No Offensive material... edit if required before posting as this is the public arena.
Anything to do with the trade or in and around it ...H&S pic's welcome.

Beware plumbers!!!.jpg

I've posted this a few times and this is at a mates house following a kitchen refirb several yrs ago. :eek:mg_smile:

Beware plumbers!!!.jpg

This one had CPC, Line, Switched live, & neutral twisted. Two different entrance holes for the cables.

WHY would anyone do that?

I suspect some DIYers think it makes a better connection when they use choc bloc connectors and struggle to get several cables properly terminated - but they will never have had to go round and deal with it a few years later (similar with insulation tape) but that looks like a commercial or non-domestic.

No idea if it was ever taught as good practise for apprentices, but it's very common with older (<70s) socket wiring.

Twisting solid cores is proper badgers imo , I know the americans Canadians love twisting cores within an inch of their life. But there really is no need to. Just put them into the connector side by side for goodness sake...
Ideal tried to re introduce wire nuts back over here a few years back - fortunately seems like they didn't succeed...

I suspect some DIYers think it makes a better connection when they use choc bloc connectors and struggle to get several cables properly terminated - but they will never have had to go round and deal with it a few years later (similar with insulation tape) but that looks like a commercial or non-domestic.

This was in the emergency stair case of a large building converted to flats so I'd like to think it wasn't DIY.

Probably the kitchen fitter.

Landlord I work for sent me this pic.

She maybe shouldn’t have entered the property when the tenant wasn’t there, but she had an appointment with him and he never turned up.
Hasn’t paid his rent and apparently moved in with someone else.

F0803D8C-63BD-49C4-BD61-17B4452D103F.jpeg

I EICRd this property before he moved in, and I’ll have to do it again when he moves out.
There’s also a missing smoke detector, and cigarette burns on the worktop.

How do you “accidentally” break a switch? If it got struck by something, the whole plate would be smashed.

Landlord I work for sent me this pic.

She maybe shouldn’t have entered the property when the tenant wasn’t there, but she had an appointment with him and he never turned up.
Hasn’t paid his rent and apparently moved in with someone else.

View attachment 83544

I EICRd this property before he moved in, and I’ll have to do it again when he moves out.
There’s also a missing smoke detector, and cigarette burns on the worktop.

How do you “accidentally” break a switch? If it got struck by something, the whole plate would be smashed.
That’s disgusting, just look at the angle of those screw heads.
how can someone leave it like that?

Someone I know used to paint right over the sockets when he decorated. Looked abysmal.
Seen it a few times typically in a council houses. they paint a room, say, blue. They paint the wall blue, the skirting board, the switches, the fireplace, the mantle, the radiator, the TRV, the door, the door handle, the window sill, the window frame, a bit of window, a bit of carpet, the dog, (the cat was too quick and used its claws)

twisting conductors was common practice with stranded imperial cable . trouble with twisting solid core , apart from being a nightmare for testing, is metal fatigue. leading to snapped conductors and poor connrctions.

Especially if you need to un-twist them for any reason, they inevitably snap.
I am not sure the American/Canadian fascination with twisting cores into tight bunches.
I know they have Wago/Ideal connectors over there, but seem to prefer Fire Nuts and twisting...

twisting conductors was common practice with stranded imperial cable . trouble with twisting solid core , apart from being a nightmare for testing, is metal fatigue. leading to snapped conductors and poor connrctions.
Correct. As you know, twisting involved 7 and 3 strand cabling, pre 60's/70's. It was carried over to solid core but, as is the norm with changes, the dangers weren't really covered in general, training wise, for a good few years. How many of us saw cable breakages due to twisting, though. A case of experience, learning as we were going along.

Like doubling up a cable at a terminal. I was always taught to but, over the years, have come to a completely different conclusion.....unless I feel it's necessary.

And what about crimping. We made a terminal eyelets out of the cable itself, especially with large earthing/bonding cables. Totally frowned upon these days. Think of all the 3 phase busbars with shell washers... ?

Reply to Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back