Discuss Domestic Installer? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

B

bathroomboy

I did the Disq with Niceic in 2005, my main business is plumbing/bathroom refits and the above qualification expires next year, I am just wondering instead of doing this course again would it be better to do something such as 2391, at present I am defined scope which is ok, if I come across something which needs a consumer upgrade I advise the customer to get a fully qualified spark, as i said above, I just want to put in shower pumps, downlights etc, I am not looking to rewire anyones house, but I can't hang about trying to get a spark for every liitle job I have to put in.
Can you please advise the best route for a qualification. Thanks.

You do not need 2391 to enrol on the schemes, however, you must be able to demonstrate a good working knowledge of 7671.

The best way to achieve this is to do the 17th edition course which takes around 3 days plus an exam.

With this, and all the necessary insurances and paperwork etc, you can then register, and sign off your own jobs.

However, some of the schemes do not allow their members to install new circuits etc, so you need to make sure that what they offer will suit your line of work.

You do not need 2391 to enrol on the schemes, however, you must be able to demonstrate a good working knowledge of 7671.

The best way to achieve this is to do the 17th edition course which takes around 3 days plus an exam.

With this, and all the necessary insurances and paperwork etc, you can then register, and sign off your own jobs.

However, some of the schemes do not allow their members to install new circuits etc, so you need to make sure that what they offer will suit your line of work.

Hey jason,

This is exactly the stage im at!
I have my 17th next week, then when fully confident i will be signing up to one of the schemes.

I was thinking elecsa, Elecsa or NIC, im torn between the 2.. elecsa seems to be very highly rated.
So which scheme DOESNT allow you to install new circuits? do you know?

Not sure what the difference is in what they both offer.. Does one let you do more than the other?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the replies, I am allready in a scheme under corgi and install new circuits but the qualification I got with Niceic runs out next year, just want to know the best route, I have over 12 months to prepare.

Thanks for the replies, I am allready in a scheme under corgi and install new circuits but the qualification I got with Niceic runs out next year, just want to know the best route, I have over 12 months to prepare.

If you qualified under the NICEIC training programme, i dont think this is transferable between schemes, but i could be wrong.

If that is the case then you may need to resit the 2382.

As for the schemes, Elecsa are getting heaps of praise at the moment due to their friendly approach.

As for the limited scope part P, i think most of them offer this service which basically means you can do notifiable work, but only in conjunction with your normal line of work, ie bathroom fitter or kitchen fitter etc, but not allowed to install new CU's, circuits and the like.

Have a look at the Elecsa, NICEIC, Napit websites.

These three are the most popular at the moment and has all the info you need.

Hope that makes sense:D

Firstly I am not an electrician but a plumber who does his own electrical work safely and legaly all above board.
It was the Niceic Domestic Installers Qualification (see link) which came about when part p was introduced enabling such as myself plumber to carry on doing thier own electrical work but it is only valid for 5 years and at the time cost £800.
Rather than doing this again would it be better doing a c&g whatever it is 2382 and 17th edition course which as said above has no expiry. Thanks

Domestic Installer Scheme Qualification (DISQ) - Industry Qualifications - Training and Assessment - NICEIC Group

Thanks Jason, is that all I would need and where would be the best place to do it and any idea of the cost, I live in Warrington, Cheshire.

For the full 17th course your looking at around £400-£500 all in.

Looks like IET do it for as much as £787.75
Electrical courses C&G 2382-10 - The IET
Prices for 3 day course at bottom of page..

If your willing to travel or stay in Loughbrough, Loughbrough collage do the full 3 day course including exam for only £200!! I've never seen it this cheap. I booked mine months ago, a long waiting list, Mine is next week there.. The amount i have saved is well worth the wait.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry about last post.

I have just looked on Loughborough collage's website, they seemed to have just put there price back upto £450.

This might be worth a look.... City & Guilds 2382-10 BS 7671: 2008 17th Edit. Course on eBay, also, Manuals Publications, Electrical Test Equipment, Business, Office Industrial (end time 21-Feb-09 12:26:48 GMT)

There direct website is ETS: Could this be you

Booked course in Preston, in April, can't use a programable calculator, didn't know there was such a thing, just ordered the big red book which is £60 but got to have it, anything I should know about i.e things to swat up on? Cheers

Reply to Domestic Installer? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock