Currently reading:
Downlight Mystery

Discuss Downlight Mystery in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

AndyTheSpark

Hi Folks,

I had a job today for a faulty downlight. It was a 12v with a 50w lamp run through a transformer rated up to 60w, there were only two lights runs off a one way switch, the other light worked fine and the light in question had been working fine previously. I tested for supply and got 230v going into the transformer, nothing coming out. Simple, I thought to myself, new transformer and all is well. After trying 3 brand new transformers I was still getting nothing coming out the other side. I rigged up a pendant to the 230v supply to see if the lamp did anything odd but it worked fine. Has anyone come across anything similar? I can replace the 12v with a 230v fitting but this seems to be skirting the issue!! Any help would be much appreciated!!!

AndyTheSpark

If you are trying to measure the voltage on the output side of a standard downlight transformer then you will not get a reading from a standard voltmeter. The transformers need a minimum load to start operating and once they do they are running at very high frequency that your meter is unlikely to pick up.
Easiest way to test a transformer is to connect it to a light bulb and see if it lights!
You could also clamp one of the output cables and see if you are getting the expected current.

Second probably this

Take the thing apart and look at the point where the lamp connects, on the back where the wires connect you'll probably see a big burn mark

Probably as above your tranny may not show an output without a load depending on type.

Sorry missed Richards post .

Last edited:

Reply to Downlight Mystery in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock