Discuss Drilling holes in new joist for cabling in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

J

jezza

Can someone please help. I am running some cables in our new exstension. The joist are approx 4.2m long, am i right in thinking that i have to drill my holes between 0.25m and 1.68m on either side. Many Thanks

Holes should be:

No greater diameter than 0.25 times the joist depth

Drilled at the neutral axis

Not less than 3 diameters (center to center) apart

Located between 0.25 and 0.4 times the span from the support

Holes should be:

I always thought it was 5 diameters apart. Learn something new every day!

Here's a good reference document i just found. LINK

And this is all good & applicable if LABC Do not think any other Trades will be driiling for their services...On a new build & have been drilling for socket & lighting drops at the required measurements. However, domestic Sprinkler system & plumbing have all gone in & neither of those are within parameters...

And this is all good & applicable if LABC Do not think any other Trades will be driiling for their services...On a new build & have been drilling for socket & lighting drops at the required measurements. However, domestic Sprinkler system & plumbing have all gone in & neither of those are within parameters...

Are you in Wales?

Don't see many domestic sprinkler systems going in but I recall it being a requirement on Welsh new builds?

its true its true... you talk to any other trade about building regs "Safe Zones" and where we should drill holes for cables and they look at us with a blank expression!!!!

Never had any of the baloney in my day...lol!! The only stipulations i remember was notching wasn't allowed and that auger holes to be a maximum of 1 1/4'', for cable runs. They, to be a minimum of 2'' from top of joist to top of auger hole. ...That was about it!! lol!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you in Wales?

Don't see many domestic sprinkler systems going in but I recall it being a requirement on Welsh new builds?

Nope. This is a UK Development. Fire Service took a risk assessment & deemed that the fire could spread entrapping the engine, so sprinkler systems installed. The lad I spoke to, said it was heading towards being Mandatory in UK at some point...(I'm glad it's in, especially with those downlighters I've had to put in...)

Can someone please help. I am running some cables in our new exstension. The joist are approx 4.2m long, am i right in thinking that i have to drill my holes between 0.25m and 1.68m on either side. Many Thanks

Holes should be:

That would be between 1.05m and 1.68m.

Everything else as IQ has already said.

Don't know the depth of the joists but something else to think about is that if the cables aren't mechanically protected then they need to be a minimum of 50mm beneath the floor or above the ceiling to avoid damage by screws/nails etc.

Sprinklers are not required on new build in Wales
The Welsh government passed the idea but it did not have the power to implement it, 2 years ago at least

It will have the power over building regulations later this year, I believe, and sprinklers are still very much on the table for very quick implementation
It is also believed that other parts of the UK will follow very soon after

I would take a guess that by next summer,all new builds in Wales will have this requirement

Perhaps its time for a sprinkler course
Drilling holes in new joist for cabling {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

Never had any of the baloney in my day...lol!! The only stipulations i remember was notching wasn't allowed and that auger holes to be a maximum of 1 1/4'', for cable runs. They, to be a minimum of 2'' from top of joist to top of auger hole. ...That was about it!! lol!!!

that's when joists were real tree wood, and not as flimsy as the buildres could get away with.

Reply to Drilling holes in new joist for cabling in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock