Discuss Earth Fault Loop Impedance... in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi there, I’m just hoping someone could clear something up for me at all. I’m just working my way through some test questions and I’ve come across one in which isn’t making sense to me.

Q. Calculate the maximum earth fault loop impedance permissible for a 30mA RCD used to protect a circuit connected to a TN-S supply.

A. 230/0.03 = 7666ohms (if a TT system, use 50volts, but must use 230volts for a TNS and TNCS system)

Does this all seem correct, or should the question be asking for PFC rather than impedance? If I am misunderstanding, then a short explanation would really put me on the right track with this.

Thanks again in advance for your invaluable help forum.

Hi there, I’m just hoping someone could clear something up for me at all. I’m just working my way through some test questions and I’ve come across one in which isn’t making sense to me.

Q. Calculate the maximum earth fault loop impedance permissible for a 30mA RCD used to protect a circuit connected to a TN-S supply.

A. 230/0.03 = 7666ohms (if a TT system, use 50volts, but must use 230volts for a TNS and TNCS system)

Does this all seem correct, or should the question be asking for PFC rather than impedance? If I am misunderstanding, then a short explanation would really put me on the right track with this.

Thanks again in advance for your invaluable help forum.
R=E/I wher R=1667,E=50V, I=0.03. hope this helps.

I still don't see the need for them changing it.

I can't see any need for it either, if a circuit has got to 1667ohms there's something seriously wrong, let alone 7667ohms!

Plus people seem to blissfully ignore manufacturers requirements. For example if you look at the instructions for a schneider RCBO it stipulates 100ohms maximum.

I can't see any need for it either, if a circuit has got to 1667ohms there's something seriously wrong, let alone 7667ohms!

Plus people seem to blissfully ignore manufacturers requirements. For example if you look at the instructions for a schneider RCBO it stipulates 100ohms maximum.

Been a while since I last used a Schneider RCBO but they also stated that they couldn't be used on TT installations.

I think with the new generation this caveat has been removed.

Been a while since I last used a Schneider RCBO but they also stated that they couldn't be used on TT installations.

I think it's still the same, ive just fitted a board with the new plug in neutral type, I'll see if any of the instructions are still hanging around tomorrow.

Schneider make both single and double pole RCBOs so you need to be careful which ones you order.

Schneider make both single and double pole RCBOs so you need to be careful which ones you order.

Aware of this, however the original ACTI9 RCBOs wouldn't operate without a decent reference to earth through the functional fly lead. Meaning in poor TT conditions, they may never operate.

Aware of this, however the original ACTI9 RCBOs wouldn't operate without a decent reference to earth through the functional fly lead. Meaning in poor TT conditions, they may never operate.

I wonder how may other RCBO's which have the earth reference connection have the same limitation?

Hi - just my read of it, but I had interpreted Reg 411.4.204 from the TN section to indicate we should use Table 41.5 from the TT section, giving 1667 Ohms again for 30mA. (?)
Agreed I’ve done the same

Why?
You don’t need DP rcbo’s on a TT
A DP main switch or 4 pole will give you your isolation
If you read their instructions they state that their single pole RCBOs are not suitable for TT systems.

If you read their instructions they state that their single pole RCBOs are not suitable for TT systems.
Wonder why that is ?.
There is no requirement to switch/disconnect the neutral during over current conditions for a TT or TN arrangement except for certain requirements in part 7

Last edited:

Reply to Earth Fault Loop Impedance... in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock