Discuss Earth leakage clamp meter in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

GBDamo

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Anyone got one they recommend.

Looking to spend upto £120.

Would like micro Amp resolution if possible single digit milli Amp a must.

Ta muchly.

Edit: only looking at testing appliances and 240V circuits.

(did a search but no conclusive answers found)

Last edited:
if you can find the 1961 episode of Blue Peter, they made one with a coat hanger hook, a magnet, and a toilet roll middle, coupled to a compass calibrated in mA.

if you can find the 1961 episode of Blue Peter, they made one with a coat hanger hook, a magnet, and a toilet roll middle, coupled to a compass calibrated in mA.

Bloody Blue Peter.... I remember telling me mates dad (a very hard man:cool:) that i watched it,and they were burying a "time-capsule"....
"Oh,you like digging,do ya?..."he said...

The following Summer,at age 13,he had us digging in railway crossing timbers,as gate/fence posts....holes dug by hand,3 foot square and the depth of the shovel...sides shaved plumb and the bottom flat,level and clean. Posts punned in every 6",gate posts concreted in...

Yeah,thanks Mr.Noakes...:rolleyes:

Only problem with cheaper is that they probably wont be adjustable if it goes out of its factory calibration.
You are correct but I could confidence check it against a calibrated MFT when, say, doing an RCD ramp test.

In a way, within reason, the absolute measured value is not important so long as you know by how much it's out.

I'm looking for an indicative diagnostic tool not something to offer a certified figure.

As such paying upwards of £250 is going to offer me little other than probable longevity.

If the cheap and cheerful proves incredibly useful yet wanting then I will have the justification for spending more. If it spends more time on the van than in use, which I suspect, I've made the right choice.

I think you'll find the cheaper ones only test milliamps by clamping across both tails, whereas the megger (bucks) tester will also clamp a single conductor, useful for a test of leakage on an earth wire.
As an aside, I don't have one and fault find with just an IR tester, leakage clamps are by no means essential.

I think you'll find the cheaper ones only test milliamps by clamping across both tails, whereas the megger (bucks) tester will also clamp a single conductor, useful for a test of leakage on an earth wire.
As an aside, I don't have one and fault find with just an IR tester, leakage clamps are by no means essential.

Any clamp tester will measure the current in a single conductor you clamp it round or the imbalance in current between any group of conductors you clmap it round.

Any clamp tester will measure the current in a single conductor you clamp it round or the imbalance in current between any group of conductors you clmap it round.
There was an MTI brekkie morning at our CEF a while back and I looked at an ETHOS earth leakage clamp which was around a hundred quid. It would only measure leakage current by clamping both tails,(that was stated in the manual), the guy told me all the cheaper clamps work like that and will not read milliamps from a single conductor. If that is incorrect it was from the horses mouth so to speak.

There was an MTI brekkie morning at our CEF a while back and I looked at an ETHOS earth leakage clamp which was around a hundred quid. It would only measure leakage current by clamping both tails,(that was stated in the manual), the guy told me all the cheaper clamps work like that and will not read milliamps from a single conductor. If that is incorrect it was from the horses mouth so to speak.

That's two seperate things, the ability to measure milliamps and measuring leakage aren't the same thing.

The ability to measure milliamps simply means that the meter is capable of measuring small currents.

The only way I know of measuring leakage current is by clamping all live conductors of the circuit in question. Clamping the cpc won't tell you the leakage due to the parallel paths involved, plus the leakage may not be to the cpc of the circuit.

Reply to Earth leakage clamp meter in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock