Discuss EICR and subsequent remedial work in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

leep82

-
Arms
Reaction score
Ive got an EICR to do this week, and ive mentioned previously how this is somthing i wish to do more off and i feel hands on experience is the best way to learn.

The property has only 4 circuits. 1 x ring, 1 x lighting, 1 x heating and 1 x cooker. I was originally asked to go and have a quick look by the customer as they had recently moved into the house and they were a little concerned by a few things.

A full kitchen refurb is planned in the next few weeks and with this in mind aswell as the issues raised by the customer i suggested the best course of action would be to carry out an EICR. This was agreed and i was also asked if i would be able to carry out the proposed kitchen refurb.

Now when i went to visit the property a couple of things caught my eye that i know will deem the installation unsatisfactory in terms of the report. One being the 45a cooker switch supplied in 6mm2 T&E and protected by a 32a MCB, which isolates the cooker, microwave and dishwasher all supplied in 2.5mm2 T&E from the cooker switch. When the refurb goes ahead this will all be corrected but my observations will be made on the installation at the time of the inspection. And so an unsatisfactory report given.

The plan is to use the existing 6mm feed to supply the induction hob ( which currently sits disconnected in the work top ). When i test the circuit can i use the results from the unsatisfactory report to issue a new satisfactory report once any remedial work is done. Or do i need to retest? This also goes for any other issues i may find.

A minor works certificate will be issued for the kitchen refurb once completed, and im left wondering if im creating myself extra needless paper work. If the issue ive mentioned turns out to be the only thing preventing a satisfactory report would it be better to just isolate/remove from circuit, as i know i am going in to do the refurb work anyway?

Thanks

An EICR is a report on a property, if done now you suggest would be unsatisfactory.

A MWC should be issued for each and EVERY circuit you alter

An EIC should be issued for each new circuit/change of fuseboard

A Part P notification (in England) should be issued for each new circuit and fuseboard change

If the customer then asks for a "satisfactory" report - you need to re do it

That's the situation in a nutshell.

Such documentation is made FAR EASIER with certificates software

PS: If the 2.5mm cable is less than 2m long you can not justify a C2

Without further details I don't see any issue or even non-compliance with BS7671 with the 2.5mm^2 cables for the cooking appliances.

I don't do EICR's. I've often wondered the merits of doing one on small domestic properties. Why not use money being spent on such an EICR, just to rectify the obvious?
The problem being that there may be more than just the obvious. The customer plans on doing quite a lot to the property and wants peace of mind that the electrical installation is of a satisfactory nature.

The problem being that there may be more than just the obvious. The customer plans on doing quite a lot to the property and wants peace of mind that the electrical installation is of a satisfactory nature.

Just saying there's not a lot to inspect, any 'issues' would be found when altering or adding to. If the kitchens being refurbed, that's 3 out of 4 circuits your gonna be testing anyway.

Ive got an EICR to do this week, and ive mentioned previously how this is somthing i wish to do more off and i feel hands on experience is the best way to learn.

The property has only 4 circuits. 1 x ring, 1 x lighting, 1 x heating and 1 x cooker. I was originally asked to go and have a quick look by the customer as they had recently moved into the house and they were a little concerned by a few things.

A full kitchen refurb is planned in the next few weeks and with this in mind aswell as the issues raised by the customer i suggested the best course of action would be to carry out an EICR. This was agreed and i was also asked if i would be able to carry out the proposed kitchen refurb.

Now when i went to visit the property a couple of things caught my eye that i know will deem the installation unsatisfactory in terms of the report. One being the 45a cooker switch supplied in 6mm2 T&E and protected by a 32a MCB, which isolates the cooker, microwave and dishwasher all supplied in 2.5mm2 T&E from the cooker switch. When the refurb goes ahead this will all be corrected but my observations will be made on the installation at the time of the inspection. And so an unsatisfactory report given.

The plan is to use the existing 6mm feed to supply the induction hob ( which currently sits disconnected in the work top ). When i test the circuit can i use the results from the unsatisfactory report to issue a new satisfactory report once any remedial work is done. Or do i need to retest? This also goes for any other issues i may find.

A minor works certificate will be issued for the kitchen refurb once completed, and im left wondering if im creating myself extra needless paper work. If the issue ive mentioned turns out to be the only thing preventing a satisfactory report would it be better to just isolate/remove from circuit, as i know i am going in to do the refurb work anyway?

Thanks
What will you issue a MNEWscertificate for? Will you be adding any new circuits?

OK ta, how do you intend feeding the circuits that are taken from the existing 6mm2 cooker supply?
The kitchen is getting ripped apart and taken back to brick on some walls. My intention was to break into the existing ring final circuit to supply appliances. The 6mm2 cooker feed will then be used to supply the induction hob although the position of the switch itself needs moving

I'd be tempted to persuaded client to have new circuits for the kitchen refurb, if the installation allows. New CU?
Yeah so would I, Kitchen refurbishment and no new circuits recipe for disaster imo

I'd be tempted to persuaded client to have new circuits for the kitchen refurb, if the installation allows. New CU?
Absolutely agree but there are no more spare ways in the consumer unit, where an RCD is acting as the main switch. Its far from ideal but does it actually warrant any form of code as far as the EICR is concerned? I dont want to scare the customer off recommending this that and the other at a great expense. Part of the reason i suggested the EICR. At least then the customer hopefully has more of an understanding of their installation.

Absolutely agree but there are no more spare ways in the consumer unit, where an RCD is acting as the main switch. Its far from ideal but does it actually warrant any form of code as far as the EICR is concerned? I dont want to scare the customer off recommending this that and the other at a great expense. Part of the reason i suggested the EICR. At least then the customer hopefully has more of an understanding of their installation.
Change the Consumers Unit to provide more ways for new circuits then. Scare the customer? your job will be to provide the safest installation possible, not a botch just because the CU isn't big enough.

Change the Consumers Unit to provide more ways for new circuits then. Scare the customer? your job will be to provide the safest installation possible, not a botch just because the CU isn't big enough.

No code.

You need to get used to delivering information that people don't always want to hear.

Its only 4 circuits so I would be talking to the client about changing to a RCBO board ....

If it were my job, I would persude them to have a new RCBO CU, new radial or RFC for kitchen, and new lighting circuit for kitchen as well.

Then they have RFC for rest of house, and two lighting circuits. Just my opinion.

Edit beaten to it by the RCBO champion!

Reply to EICR and subsequent remedial work in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net