Discuss EICR and subsequent remedial work in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

No code.

You need to get used to delivering information that people don't always want to hear.

Its only 4 circuits so I would be talking to the client about changing to a RCBO board ....
And wiring some circuits for sockets cabinet lighting etc, it will be on your head if you continue trying to jury rig the existing, bite the bullet and tell them what they need to know, not what they don't want to hear.

Change the Consumers Unit to provide more ways for new circuits then. Scare the customer? your job will be to provide the safest installation possible, not a botch just because the CU isn't big enough.
Botch?
By the time they spent money on an EICR, they'd have a CU installed.[/QUOTE
If it were my job, I would persude them to have a new RCBO CU, new radial or RFC for kitchen, and new lighting circuit for kitchen as well.

Then they have RFC for rest of house, and two lighting circuits. Just my opinion.
Its all ideal world stuff though. I agree with everything, apart from the botch comment which was made, but ultimately if after ive done the EICR and made recommendations such as a new consumer unit or wiring a new ring and the customer doesnt want to go ahead with such work what do i do? Surely not walk away from a job where i can still comply to current regs.?

Really? How much do you charge respectively for such work?

As I said, I don't do EICR's, but I've seen suggestions of around £200 for such like (EICR's)

It's your job & client, so only you know the booby more with that. Just suggesting a alternative viewpoint.

Botch?

Its all ideal world stuff though. I agree with everything, apart from the botch comment which was made, but ultimately if after ive done the EICR and made recommendations such as a new consumer unit or wiring a new ring and the customer doesnt want to go ahead with such work what do i do? Surely not walk away from a job where i can still comply to current regs.?
OK I'll rephrase, what you are intending to do is hardly ideal for a major refurbishment, ask yourself how you would integrate the existing socket circuit in to the existing RFC, when a new kitchen ring or Radial would be more appropriate, perhaps "botch" was a bit harsh, "inapropriate
instalation" would fit the bill better.

I ap
As I said, I don't do EICR's, but I've seen suggestions of around £200 for such like (EICR's)

It's your job & client, so only you know the booby more with that. Just suggesting a alternative viewpoint.
I appreciate that dont get me wrong. As stated i agree with everything thats being said but as electricians weve all come across situations where doing the ideal job isnt always practical for a number of reasons. So what then?

I ap

I appreciate that dont get me wrong. As stated i agree with everything thats being said but as electricians weve all come across situations where doing the ideal job isnt always practical for a number of reasons. So what then?

Of course not, and my 1989 house was built with just one RFC. Is there any scope with your client, to revisit this? If not, you'll have to proceed as is, but in your OP it sounds if they want things done 'properly' ?

W
Of course not, and my 1989 house was built with just one RFC. Is there any scope with your client, to revisit this? If not, you'll have to proceed as is, but in your OP it sounds if they want things done 'properly' ?
Which is part of the reasoning behind the EICR. Once completed i can go back to the customer with my recommendations. Ive perhaps been guilty of looking at the job and trying to provide an installation that is both satisfactory but with minimal costs. As far as im concerned i not only have a duty to provide a safe installation but also to be upfront and honest with them. And i think it would be wrong to turn to them and say you need a new consumer unit, ring main etc etc when i can still provide a safe installation.

You could proceed as is, but as you know the other option would be better. If you give your clients the options and how much it would cost, and let them decide. You've done all you reasonably can then.

I ap

Can you not get some technical help fro the part P, CPS you belong to?
W

Which is part of the reasoning behind the EICR. Once completed i can go back to the customer with my recommendations. Ive perhaps been guilty of looking at the job and trying to provide an installation that is both satisfactory but with minimal costs. As far as im concerned i not only have a duty to provide a safe installation but also to be upfront and honest with them. And i think it would be wrong to turn to them and say you need a new consumer unit, ring main etc etc when i can still provide a safe installation.

One of the proposed changes for the 18th, is limiting planned leakage current (is it 30% or something). Difficult to achieve in the planned kitchen refurb. Some way off yet, but something that should be considered with any install, along with division of installation.

One of the proposed changes for the 18th, is limiting planned leakage current (is it 30% or something). Difficult to achieve in the planned kitchen refurb. Some way off yet, but something that should be considered with any install, along with division of installation.

Enough chit chat from me now, orrff to cook a veg curry!

i got shot down on here once for a suggestion made about i think RCD protection on socket outlets and the 18th edition. Correct me if im wrong but is a proposed change that all socket outlets will be RCD protected as opposed to those rated at 20a currently. Anyway i was told you install to the CURRENT edition of the regulations.

Who knows what the will decide; my point is having just one RFC in a property could prove complicated, especially after one has been in there adding or altering. 'It was alright before you started'.

Reply to EICR and subsequent remedial work in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net