Discuss First ever eicr report failed in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Private tenant since 2011. First ever eicr February 23 informed via text it failed by text from electric secretary arranging appointment for repairs, obvs gonna fail as bodge jobs themselves! Electrical company, agent, landlord are all friends,
I've been given no reports , certificates, or verbal communication as to why under what category.
Sorry its long requested information and EICR satisfactory with only 3 C3s saying remedial work completed.
Oh and agent sent me the sale bill
Replace bathroom light
Trunk extractor cable
Correct pendant S/1
Locate high ring ends
Replace top plug
Re cable immersion heater
+ note. leak from shower getting into kitchen socket info via tenant.
Could anyone help regarding codes they could be please

TL;DR
Edit sale bill was to letting agent..accidentally sent to me
Difficult to follow OP, but it seems an EICR was carried out last year and tenant wasn't furnished with a copy, despite this being a legal requirement and despite them having requested a copy. My reading is that they received a text from the company who carried out the EICR stating it was unsatisfactory (? no such thing as a failure). It seems as though the agent subesequently forwarded a copy of the invoice which included remedial work, along with a satisfactory EICR. If this remedial work was carried out, then it may well be that the company initially issued an unsatisfactory EICR, carried out remedial work to bring the installation up to a satisfactory standard, but some C3 codes remain from the original report.

If this is the case, then it would be perfectly acceptable as there is no requirement that items which are graded C3 be attended to as they are considered advisory.

This is nothing more than guess work on my part as the information provided is impossible to follow and the OP needs to provide clearer information if they want to receive meaningful advice.

Difficult to follow OP, but it seems an EICR was carried out last year and tenant wasn't furnished with a copy, despite this being a legal requirement and despite them having requested a copy. My reading is that they received a text from the company who carried out the EICR stating it was unsatisfactory (? no such thing as a failure). It seems as though the agent subesequently forwarded a copy of the invoice which included remedial work, along with a satisfactory EICR. If this remedial work was carried out (it should be easy to spot trunking on the extractor cable and a new bathroom light), then it may well be that the company initially issued an unsatisfactory EICR, carried out remedial work to bring the installation up to a satisfactory standard, but some C3 codes remain from the original report.

If this is the case, then it would be perfectly acceptable as there is no requirement that items which are graded C3 be attended to as they are considered advisory.

This is nothing more than guess work on my part as the information provided is impossible to follow and the OP needs to provide clearer information if they want to receive meaningful advice.
Sorry Eicr was done in Feb 2023 no report or information given to me as tenant. 35 days later the same electrical company returned and carried out the work. I knew immersion heater would need wire's or whatever sorted as landlord did something as we had no hot water..temp fix!!
What I'm advice I'm looking for is should I have gotten original unsatisfactory certificate/report followed by what's been repaired to make it now Satisfactory?

Sorry Eicr was done in Feb 2023 no report or information given to me as tenant. 35 days later the same electrical company returned and carried out the work. I knew immersion heater would need wire's or whatever sorted as landlord did something as we had no hot water..temp fix!!
What I'm advice I'm looking for is should I have gotten original unsatisfactory certificate/report followed by what's been repaired to make it now Satisfactory?

I could be wrong, but believe the tenant should receive a copy within 30 days. Slight delay aside I don't think what happened is particularly unusual. It may be that the electrician advised the agent of work required, who then got permission to carry it out and subsequently issued the electrician issued a satisfactory EICR with a couple of remaining C3s. From an administration perspective it may have been easier to issue one certificate and the main issue is that anything which was considered to be potentially dangerous has been resolved.

Forgot the C3s on my Satisfactory report are
Plastic consumer unit
Ct1 no I'd of switch wires
Ct3 unable to access (behind tv I'd offered to pull unit out)
I'm scared that another family won't escape a fire like my family did in 2018.. Alot of property, well known as is electrical company they always use. To provide a satisfactory report also the only one in 13years I've lived here.

I could be wrong, but believe the tenant should receive a copy within 30 days. Slight delay aside I don't think what happened is particularly unusual. It may be that the electrician advised the agent of work required, who then got permission to carry it out and subsequently issued the electrician issued a satisfactory EICR with a couple of remaining C3s. From an administration perspective it may have been easier to issue one certificate and the main issue is that anything which was considered to be potentially dangerous has been resolved.
Yep and for that I'm grateful as already had a large fire living here in 2018. Problem I've got is why no reports paperwork has been received not only by myself but other tenants as well. I've only got mine because I've asked 3 time's via email took a week, blatant lie with statement already provided at the time will send again.

I don’t think there will be an unsatisfactory report, and then a new satisfactory one to compare with.

You should at least get a copy of the satisfactory one, to prove to you, the tenant, that the accommodation you are paying for is safe.
Whatever was done to make it satisfactory is neither here nor there.

If you have concerns, you could approach citizens advice, but it sounds like one of the three, (landlord, agent, electrician) has pushed to get this done.

If you can, could you post photographs of the consumer unit, removing any address details, company names etc, and anything you might think looks a bit dodgy/ dangerous.

A tenant wouldn't normally be billed for electrical remedial works at a rental property. This would be the landlord's responsibility.

He isn't being billed for it. He says he was sent the bill by mistake.

Reply to First ever eicr report failed in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net