Discuss For the first time ever I was asked to leave a customers house yesterday in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

richy3333

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
A new customer called and originally asked if I would visit to 'wire up' his conservatory. When I visited it transpired that he had built a new utility and conservatory and had applied for a building warrant retrospectively. He'd clearly upset the building inspector (BI) who'd 'gone to town' and issued a list of faults the length of the Amazon canal! The customer informed me that he never bothers to get permission to build first, he just does the work and then tries to force the BI's to accept what he has done. The BI has asked for PIR to be completed, but the chap asked if I would sign off his work and complete an EIC - I said no!

The circuit he had 'created' for the conservatory was run into the MCB for his garage at the CCU and then he'd run an unfused spur of six sockets off the new circuit for the utility. I pointed out (politely) that it wasn't correct and he commented that it was good to Australian Wiring Regs. I had to point out I was unfamiliar with the Australian Wring Regs as we are in Scotland and I doubted that the BI would care either!

He said the circuits were good and he knew that because he had undertaken lots of electrical work over the years whilst working as a builder, I pointed out that the wiring was at a depth of less than 50mm etc and it wasn't RCD protected! I asked him to show me his test certificate and he told me that he hadn't EVER done any testing but knew it was safe. I guess thats called blind faith. He knew all about my Megger but has never had a test instrument (but has looked at them in the catalogue).

It's a PME system and I got a Ze of 257 ohms and a PFC to earth of <1A. Zs at various sockets of around 260-270 ohms. I politely pointed out that there was an earthing problem - not associated to his install and rang the DNO. They confirmed that 2 weeks previous they had been to the property to replace the main 100A fuse in the cut out. Did some more testing for the DNO and they confirmed my suspicion that the earth had failed. Getting off the phone to the DNO I asked the client why he had not mentioned this and he said that was for me to work out. I pointed out that I am not a magician!

Anyhow, to cut a long story short I had the information required to complete the PIR and during conversation pointed out the location of his sockets did not comply with Building Regs - height and location etc. With that he became really mad and said he wanted me to limit what I put in the PIR because the BI had it in for him. I pointed out that I either did the job properly or not at all. So. he told me not to bother with sending the PIR and he would get another spark to do it the way he wanted it. With that he told me to get out of his house, I agreed to do so, but his choice was my bill, with or without the PIR. I left.

I can't believe how rude and arrogant the man was. I'd bit my tongue for a long period and tried to be polite and diplomatic, but there comes a point when enough is enough! Luckily his 'partner' had signed a dangerous situation report before I'd left, so I had covered myself and can prove they were informed about the major faults in the house etc.

Thanks for reading (rant over) :)

well done mate, for not bowing down to this cretin. hope the BI makes him demolish.

I'm just filling in the remainder of the PIR for him to go with my bill. If necassary I'll nail them both to his head! I have a mind to send a copy to the Building control - oops sorry Mr Customer I thought that's what you asked me to do :D

don't hand over the PIR till you have been paid ( and if it's a cheque, cleared )

There are people around who can talk you into doing things you don't want to do. They use a combination of tactics and often resort to rudeness and arrogance when things aren't panning out the way they want. If this was the first one you have come across then you fared better than most first timers would have done. It takes some experience to be able to deal with this particular brand of ----er. I'm sure other members here, me included, have been talked into doing things in the days when they were less worldly wise. I'm sure it was a bit of a shock but put it down to experience, next time you'll see it coming and you'll be more prepared.

A new customer called and originally asked if I would visit to 'wire up' his conservatory. When I visited it transpired that he had built a new utility and conservatory and had applied for a building warrant retrospectively. He'd clearly upset the building inspector (BI) who'd 'gone to town' and issued a list of faults the length of the Amazon canal! The customer informed me that he never bothers to get permission to build first, he just does the work and then tries to force the BI's to accept what he has done. The BI has asked for PIR to be completed, but the chap asked if I would sign off his work and complete an EIC - I said no!

The circuit he had 'created' for the conservatory was run into the MCB for his garage at the CCU and then he'd run an unfused spur of six sockets off the new circuit for the utility. I pointed out (politely) that it wasn't correct and he commented that it was good to Australian Wiring Regs. I had to point out I was unfamiliar with the Australian Wring Regs as we are in Scotland and I doubted that the BI would care either!

He said the circuits were good and he knew that because he had undertaken lots of electrical work over the years whilst working as a builder, I pointed out that the wiring was at a depth of less than 50mm etc and it wasn't RCD protected! I asked him to show me his test certificate and he told me that he hadn't EVER done any testing but knew it was safe. I guess thats called blind faith. He knew all about my Megger but has never had a test instrument (but has looked at them in the catalogue).

It's a PME system and I got a Ze of 257 ohms and a PFC to earth of <1A. Zs at various sockets of around 260-270 ohms. I politely pointed out that there was an earthing problem - not associated to his install and rang the DNO. They confirmed that 2 weeks previous they had been to the property to replace the main 100A fuse in the cut out. Did some more testing for the DNO and they confirmed my suspicion that the earth had failed. Getting off the phone to the DNO I asked the client why he had not mentioned this and he said that was for me to work out. I pointed out that I am not a magician!

Anyhow, to cut a long story short I had the information required to complete the PIR and during conversation pointed out the location of his sockets did not comply with Building Regs - height and location etc. With that he became really mad and said he wanted me to limit what I put in the PIR because the BI had it in for him. I pointed out that I either did the job properly or not at all. So. he told me not to bother with sending the PIR and he would get another spark to do it the way he wanted it. With that he told me to get out of his house, I agreed to do so, but his choice was my bill, with or without the PIR. I left.

I can't believe how rude and arrogant the man was. I'd bit my tongue for a long period and tried to be polite and diplomatic, but there comes a point when enough is enough! Luckily his 'partner' had signed a dangerous situation report before I'd left, so I had covered myself and can prove they were informed about the major faults in the house etc.

Thanks for reading (rant over) :)

This is BS - I do NOT believe that this bloke is even qualified in Aus!!! I have worked alongside no less than 10 Aussie/Kiwi sparkies; and to a man they have been the doggies do-dahs. EVERY single Aussie/Kiwi sparkie that I've known/worked with have been at the top of their game. Some of the ones that I've worked with; were senior sparkies back home. In Aus/NZ, unlike here, a trade such as ours only attracts intelligent blokes - hence the reason why, the visa entry requirements for 'foreign' sparkies over there are so stringent. It wouldn't surprise me if this idiot had been working in a bar two weeks before hand. I know that some of you northerners won't take my word for it, but trust me on this. I would happily work for an Aussie/Kiwi sparkie ANY DAY.

Happy ending to my story...

Sent my invoice to the customer along with the PIR. Suggested that I couldn't remember if he was sending it on to the Council or if he had asked me to do that ;) He coughed up the money straight away (plus the arsehole tax that I levied :) )

Found 20+ faults with the work he had done himself, so my PIR should keep him busy rectifying his own faults (to non-UK standards of course!).

Reply to For the first time ever I was asked to leave a customers house yesterday in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net