Discuss Had an electrician around to do an EICR but was given a quote for work instead. in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

If the installation was installed and signed off with all appropriate paper work as you say then it is still good until 2015. (Assuming the paperwork correctly stated that it was good for 10 years) Only visual condition reports required with change in tenants. If it is being tested now it is done so in accordance with the current regulations, if it was safe then it wouldn't become unsafe now, other than advising that there are non compliances to today's regs. IMHO

he wants to open all the boxes, does he think he's on deal or no deal, with a fat payment at the end?

"Supply parts and create the earth equipotential cross bonding to the boiler pipes" either this is just poorly written or you may require supplementary bonding. If this is the case your original contractor should do this as he should have done it in 2005. If he was an NICEIC contractor he will be obliged to do anything that should have been done at the time at his own expense; not sure about contractors registered with other governing bodies.

I've recently had an electrician around to do an EICR on my HMO property. The property consists of four flats (each flat on their own floor but not accessed via one door hence a license able HMO even though they each have separate metering for utilities). The property was completely renovated in 2005 so all utilities were new, Electricity meters, wiring, fire alarms all to standard of that time and signed off as such on completion with the appropriate paperwork. Anyway, with the latest inspection I've had with this electrician I'm being told that because some of the wiring and fusebox installations do not comply to 2008 standards they are illegal and I need to have work done to make it comply. He did not issue an EICR detailing categories of concern i.e C2, C3 etc. Instead I've been given a quote and outline of work he suggests being done. Is this unnecessary work for an EICR if the existing state of electrics is safe and compliant to regulations when they were installed in 2005? I have copied and pasted two quotes he has given me below. One for the flats and one for Landlord and communal areas of the property. I know this is a bit long winded but would appreciate anyone in the know giving me advice. Thank you in advance!

I think you should start here with the "electrician". You asked him to provide an EICR and that is what he has to give you, clearly identifying all aspects of the "installation" which need addressing.

Have you paid him for the EICR?

Thanks for the feedback on this issue everyone! I did get the feeling that this electrician was trying to say that unless everything complied to 2008 regs that it would not pass an EICR. Therefore he did not issue me with a report but seemed to insist that I go ahead with this work to bring it up to 2008 standards after which he would sign off on everything. I did not pay him for anything as he did not issue me with anything other than the quotes to bring everything up to 2008 standards. What I think can be confusing and what I believe he was trying to act upon is, imply that everything had to be up to 2008 standards in order to be in correct working condition and that anything done to previous standards, even if they were in order to standards set before 2008, are now obsolete and needed changing to comply. Being a landlord I have had similar encounters with trades people when things need checking and by this I don't just mean Electricians. I only went to this electrician as he advertised as local (Also untrue but only found out when he arrived!) and the company that did the original installation was not, as they came in under the use of the contractor that supervised the work for the renovation of the building as a whole at the time. I will look into a few things that did spring up such as the lack of RCB in the landlord consumer unit as this was installed and signed off on after installation in 2005, (possibly 2004 as the work started and finished in 2005) if that makes any difference at all!

Thanks for the feedback on this issue everyone! I did get the feeling that this electrician was trying to say that unless everything complied to 2008 regs that it would not pass an EICR. Therefore he did not issue me with a report but seemed to insist that I go ahead with this work to bring it up to 2008 standards after which he would sign off on everything. I did not pay him for anything as he did not issue me with anything other than the quotes to bring everything up to 2008 standards. What I think can be confusing and what I believe he was trying to act upon is, imply that everything had to be up to 2008 standards in order to be in correct working condition and that anything done to previous standards, even if they were in order to standards set before 2008, are now obsolete and needed changing to comply. Being a landlord I have had similar encounters with trades people when things need checking and by this I don't just mean Electricians. I only went to this electrician as he advertised as local (Also untrue but only found out when he arrived!) and the company that did the original installation was not, as they came in under the use of the contractor that supervised the work for the renovation of the building as a whole at the time. I will look into a few things that did spring up such as the lack of RCB in the landlord consumer unit as this was installed and signed off on after installation in 2005, (possibly 2004 as the work started and finished in 2005) if that makes any difference at all!

Ask him for the invoice for the EICR and the EICR.

This guy is just trying to take you for a ride.

Surprised he's not looking £400 for a new saddle for his horse. Tell him to do one and get a competent electrician in to do the EICR.

No point asking for the EICR as it won't be worth the paper it's written on.

I think you should start here with the "electrician". You asked him to provide an EICR and that is what he has to give you, clearly identifying all aspects of the "installation" which need addressing.

Have you paid him for the EICR?

No, I didn't pay him for anything and he did not, and has not, offered to give me an EICR even though that is what I called him out for. He did go around the building checking the consumer units sockets and wiring and took notes as I would have expected him to do but he just emailed me the quotes for work stating things he saw as, "illegal" or not up to 2008 regs as you see in copies I put up. The first quote I put up actually concerns three identical flats that have been wired in exactly the same manner and he wanted to charge £471.33 for each of them totaling £2067.30 together with the work done on the last quote. Thanks again for replying to this.

Be worth seeing though wouldn't it - especially if the OP could post it here.

True mate but then the op will probably end up being invoiced for it.

OP did this guy just visually inspect the properties or did he actually test the circuits?

True mate but then the op will probably end up being invoiced for it.

The OP invited an electrician to do an EICR - so at the very least, on receipt of the EICR and invoice the OP is obliged to pay him - if he doesn't pay the OP could end up in court.

OP did this guy just visually inspect the properties or did he actually test the circuits?

From what I could see this was a visual inspection but he did have a plug that lit up when put in sockets. I'm guessing this was a test of circuits of sorts! Also he checked how wiring was connected behind sockets and light fittings.

From what I could see this was a visual inspection but he did have a plug that lit up when put in sockets. I'm guessing this was a test of circuits of sorts! Also he checked how wiring was connected behind sockets and light fittings.

Ok if that is all he has done it is not enough to be considered an EICR. What he has done is a visual inspection, the plug that lit up basically on checks correct polarity of socket outlets.

as sintra says. plug in socket testers are only a first rough indicator. we usually let plumbers and BG use these to condemn perfectly good installations.

I think we are all thinking it but no1 has said it!!!! The report is BULL. Find outif he is NIC EIC registered If he is report him, to them. If not report him to the local council. Then come back on here and ask for a local spark in your area to come and have a look?? Im sure some1 will be willing to help? Then we can see a real sparks report.
For now name and location please? Name an shame is the best way forward for this foooooolllll!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Please do not name & shame as this is a public forum

If the NICEIC find fault with th guy or he is not listed I think they have a wall of shame for unregistered pretenders using their logo for promotion of work.

It woul be interesting to see if the EICR is on a red, purple or green cert.

Reply to Had an electrician around to do an EICR but was given a quote for work instead. in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net