Discuss Need help with red wires in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi,

I am installing a new bathroom fan. We had an electrician who ran 14/3 into a junction box. The black feeds a led light and the red was left to feed this fan.

The ceiling wiring all makes sense but when I opened the switch box the were the neutrals wire nut together, all the blacks wire nut together with one being the feed from outlet below.

The black from the light and the a pigtail from the blacks bringing power are wired to a dimmer switch and that switch and light have been working perfectly.

When I looked at wiring for the fan switch I assumed I would add another black pigtail from power to the switch and then add the red from fan.

Issue I found was that there are 3 reds in a wire nut in the 2 gang switch box. Even though they are together in a nut, none of them are stripped.

What do I do with these reds? Do I just find the one for fan and connect to switch and leave all others alone?

Going to be very difficult to answer this can you not get in contact with the electrician who installed it.

Reply to Need help with red wires in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

L
WIRING FOR WALL SMART SWITCH FOR CEILING FAN/LIGHT Just bought a smart wall switch for a ceiling fan/light currently connected to a single switch...
Replies
Views
littletwinn
L
I have 2 lights connected to 1 switch. I installed a led light fixture on one light, it had one red wire and one black wires. It was easy to match...
Replies
Views
Hi, in my bedroom i had a 2 gang dimmer that powered 2 set of 3 spot lights and also had passthrough wires to other sockets. Im changing to just...
Replies
Views
Hello everyone... There are a total of 4 cables entering the junction box at the top of the staircase. Two 12/2 cables are coming in through the...
Replies
Views
Hello, my house was built in the 1950s and every time I look behind a wall plate the wiring isn’t how it’s shown in any DIY book I’ve read. I’m...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock