Discuss Had an electrician around to do an EICR but was given a quote for work instead. in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

I've recently had an electrician around to do an EICR on my HMO property. The property consists of four flats (each flat on their own floor but not accessed via one door hence a license able HMO even though they each have separate metering for utilities). The property was completely renovated in 2005 so all utilities were new, Electricity meters, wiring, fire alarms all to standard of that time and signed off as such on completion with the appropriate paperwork. Anyway, with the latest inspection I've had with this electrician I'm being told that because some of the wiring and fusebox installations do not comply to 2008 standards they are illegal and I need to have work done to make it comply. He did not issue an EICR detailing categories of concern i.e C2, C3 etc. Instead I've been given a quote and outline of work he suggests being done. Is this unnecessary work for an EICR if the existing state of electrics is safe and compliant to regulations when they were installed in 2005? I have copied and pasted two quotes he has given me below. One for the flats and one for Landlord and communal areas of the property. I know this is a bit long winded but would appreciate anyone in the know giving me advice. Thank you in advance!

Quote given by Electrician:
Further to our recent visit to the above address, and upon carrying out detailed visual inspections as well as testing on your electrical wiring installation, we regret to inform you that your current wiring does not comply with the safety requirements of BS7671: 2008, and therefore, we advise a partial upgrading to be carried out.
This work shall consist of the following items:

MAINS AND GENERAL:
This installation is supplied via 1x Siemens box with only 1x RCD
Alter the old existing BS3036 fuse box by moving the 2x non protected MCB to the RCD protected side of the box.
Install 1x builder’s temporary supply to have some power while altering the box.
Supply parts and upgrade to BS7671:2008 all the hard wired existing alarms by opening the 2x alarms and doing the markings according to BS7671:2008.
Also open all sockets, fuse spurs, lights and switches and do the BS7671:2008 upgrading to the rest of the flat by opening these items and installing the marking to wires.
Supply parts and create the earth equipotential cross bonding to the boiler pipes.
The bathroom light is on its way out.
Replace light purchased by customer.
Label box, test and certify.

We estimate the cost of labour and materials will be ÂŁ471.33subject to our standard terms and conditions as shown below.

NOTES:
Bathroom lighting (where applicable) will be waterproof light (IP64) with pull cord switch or switch located outside the bathroom. These (if required) lights will be provided by customers. Any needed new extractor fan will be on customer.

No allowance has been made for decoration work such as wall paper or painting.

All work will be guaranteed for a 12 month from the time of completion.

On completion of the work we shall issue an Installation and completion certificate in accordance with BS7671:2008 and the NIC EIC code of conduct.

And second quote on landlord areas:

Further to our recent visit to the above address, and upon carrying out detailed visual inspections as well as testing on your electrical wiring installation, we regret to inform you that your current wiring does not comply with the safety requirements of BS7671: 2008, and therefore, we advise a partial upgrading to be carried out.
This work shall consist of the following items:

MAINS AND GENERAL:
This installation is supplied via 1x WYLEX box with NO RCD WHATSOEVER
This WYLEX C.U. will be RCD protected by adding 1x 63 or 80 amps RCD outside the box, on outside enclosure and the related 25mm cables for N/L and 1x 16mm Green/Yellow for earth.
Install 1x builder’s temporary supply to have some power while altering the box.
4x MCB are not complying for they are not the same make as box, therefore illegal.
Supply parts and replace 4x MCB with proper 4x type B Wylex MCBs
Supply parts and upgrade to BS7671:2008 all the hard wired existing alarms by opening all the alarms in hallway and 4x landings and doing the markings according to BS7671:2008.
Also open all blanked sockets, lights and switches and do the BS7671:2008 upgrading by opening these items and installing the marking to wires.
ALSO, FOR THE ENTIRE BUILDING, DO A CONTINUITY AND ISOLATION TESTS.
Label box, test and certify.

We estimate the cost of labour and materials will be ÂŁ653.31subject to our standard terms and conditions as shown below.

NOTES:
Bathroom lighting (where applicable) will be waterproof light (IP64) with pull cord switch or switch located outside the bathroom. These (if required) lights will be provided by customers. Any needed new extractor fan will be on customer.

No allowance has been made for decoration work such as wall paper or painting.

All work will be guaranteed for a 12 month from the time of completion.

On completion of the work we shall issue an Installation and completion certificate in accordance with BS7671:2008 and the NIC EIC code of conduct.

We trust that the above is satisfactory and meets with your requirements and hence we await your further instructions.

Sounds like he's on the make.

If you asked for the EICR, and agreed the price, then I'd ask for it again!

i love it when I see "illegal". Putting "illegal" is probably more likely to be illegal!

If you haven't paid this guy, ...Don't!! ..Employ the services of another fully qualified electrician, preferably one that has been recommended by a trusted party!!

Was this guy English by the way or one of our foreign cousins?? Certainly doesn't know how to write in English!!! lol!!!

Alter the old existing BS3036 fuse box by moving the 2x non protected MCB to the RCD protected side of the box.

I think this guy has confused himself with this numpty statement!! lol!!

Last edited by a moderator:
just insist on the EICR you paid him for and say you will let him know if you require him to go any further, in the mean time copy the report and post the whole thing up here so we can look at it and advise you.

Stay well clear of this cowboy, I do not know which regs book he takes all this from. Particular liked the one about different make of MCB
to the make of CU being "illegal"?? , if this was the case, then half of all installations i test would be condemned!!!!

never have i read so much gibberish following an inspection.
so , ÂŁ1100 in total to get the installation upto code.
and i see this is an NIC contractor ? how surprising.

i think we need the name of this guy, i recomend find out who he is registered with and send them the letter he gave you, no wonder electricians get a bad name! never heard so much trype in my life! get another electrician in ,by the way when was original installation installed?

just wondering where i can buy a BS7671 felt marker. the only bit of possible sense i saw in that quote was that there was no RCD prfotection at all. i can't see , though, how the job could have been installed without RCD/s in 2005.

Im a bit confused about the need to put in a builder board to provide power while working on the board? I find a torch saves a bit of time lol...Why not just get the original company back to perform the EICR?

Supply parts and create the earth equipotential cross bonding to the boiler pipes.

Also open all blanked sockets, lights and switches and do the BS7671:2008 upgrading by opening these items and installing the marking to wires.
ALSO, FOR THE ENTIRE BUILDING, DO A CONTINUITY AND ISOLATION TESTS.

Read more: http://www.electriciansforums.net/i...t-given-quote-work-instead.html#ixzz2DFss6wnl

Read more: http://www.electriciansforums.net/i...t-given-quote-work-instead.html#ixzz2DFsNcbYP

Has a good understanding of the regs :6:

but we are missing the point . the sparks was contracted to carry out an eicr. this should have been given to the client before any thought of remedial work was entertained. if you have not paid him for the eicr, tell him to swivel and get somebody competent in.

Reply to Had an electrician around to do an EICR but was given a quote for work instead. in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net